Professor in Statistics
Based in Mathematical Sciences – a department that is currently ranked 5th in the Complete University Guide 2017 and holds an Athena SWAN bronze award for gender equality in academia – this enticing role combines research with teaching duties. Set within the Statistics and Probability Group, this newly created position is the result of an expansion of the department in which we are developing new degree programmes. As such, you will take responsibility for research-led teaching in statistics and probability, shaping the curriculum and guiding undergraduate and postgraduate students in their research and studies. Working with groups of all sizes in seminars, lectures and tutorials, you will combine this with your own individual and collaborative academic studies, publishing your work in internationally recognised journals. Furthermore, for the first two years of appointment, we will offer you the scope to take on reduced teaching duties so that you can establish a sound research base within the department, setting you up for a high-flying career.
Vacancy Reference: MATH18-1
Download the full job description as a PDF.
- A good first degree with a PhD in Statistics or a related subject.
- Solid research capabilities in Statistics, with the ability to secure external funding through research grants or contracts.
- Evidence of internationally-acclaimed research with a clear research plan for future endeavours and the ability to lead research groups.
- Good teaching skills, supported by HEA (or equivalent) status.
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to supervise and support PhD candidates and early career researchers.
- The willingness to attend activities that support the work of the department, such as Open Days and research conferences and workshops.
How to apply
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.