Information for candidates invited to interview
If you have been invited to interview (congratulations!) or if you are looking for information should you be invited to interview (fingers crossed!), we hope you find this information useful. If there is anything else that you need to know, please get in touch with your department contact or email@example.com.
Please note that candidates are responsible for booking any travel and/or accommodation and seeking reimbursement from the University as outlined below (unless they have been specifically advised otherwise). We would suggest checking the expenses guidance before incurring any costs.
Getting to Durham
Whether it’s most convenient for you to come by plane, train or automobile, the University is conveniently situated next to major travel routes and amenities.
Durham is on the East Coast Mainline, one of the major rail lines in the UK. We are therefore well serviced by high speed trains from throughout the country with journey times of under 3 hours from London Kings Cross, 2.5 hours from Manchester, 1.5 hours from Edinburgh, 45 minutes from York and 16 minutes from Newcastle.
When you arrive at Durham station, there are normally plenty of taxis outside.* If you would prefer to pre-book a taxi (including vehicles with disabled/wheelchair access) you could try:
- JD’s Taxis: +44 (0)191 378 2555
- Paddy’s Taxis: +44( 0)191 3866662
- Sherburn Taxis: +44 (0)191 372 3388
Alternatively you can walk from the train station to the city centre (about 15 minutes) and/or to the University (up to 30 minutes, depending on which part of the University), although please note that Durham is quite hilly. An interactive map of the university is available to help locate your interview location.
Durham is about 40 minutes’ drive from 2 international airports, Newcastle Airport and Durham Tees Valley, both of which have regular international and domestic flights (Newcastle being the bigger of the two).
If flying into Newcastle, there is a Metro train link directly to Newcastle Central Station and from there you can catch a train to Durham.
We would suggest travelling to Durham by train from any other UK airport such as Heathrow, Gatwick or Manchester (or we will reimburse an internal flight if it is cheaper). We will only reimburse the cost of a taxi from Newcastle or Durham Tees Valley airports.
Durham is only 2 miles from the A1(M). Leave the A1(M) at Junction 62 and follow the A690 signposted - Durham City Centre.
If you would like to park at the University, we will need to arrange a parking permit for you. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least a week before your interview and let us know which vacancy you are applying for, the date you require parking and your car registration. We will let you know where to pick up your parking permit from.
Alternatively you can park in Durham city centre (mainly parking metres) or Durham County Council operates a Park and Ride Scheme with large car parks adjacent to 3 major routes into the city and direct buses every 10 minutes from the car parks to the city centre.
If you need to stay
If your visit to Durham requires an overnight stay (or 2 nights if this is necessary), we will reimburse you for your accommodation. We would ask that you arrange your own accommodation and we will reimburse charges in accordance with the information provided below.
We are keen that you have the opportunity to engage with and experience our University community and we therefore ask that, if available, candidates stay in guest accommodation in one of our 16 colleges (which includes en-suite facilities and state rooms at Durham Castle).
- Durham Travelodge – Budget Hotel, within 10 minutes' walking distance of Durham City Centre, 20 minutes’ walk to Durham Train Station +44 (0)8719 846136
- Premier Inn Durham – Modern budget style hotel, centrally located, close to Walkergate, a hub of restaurants and the Gala Theatre +44 (0)871 527 8338
- The Victoria Inn – Less than 5 minutes’ walk to the Mountjoy Site. Family-run, Victorian public house with a friendly atmosphere offering reasonably priced, good quality en-suite accommodation. +44 (0)191 386 5269
The University has local negotiated rates (subject to availability) with:
- Durham Marriot Royal County Hotel - c.10 minutes’ walk to the Mountjoy Site. Single Occupancy, Standard Room, Bed & Breakfast: £102.00. To book a stay at the Marriott, simply click on the following link which takes you to their online reservation tool Marriott online reservation tool. +44 (0)191 386 6821
- Durham Radisson Hotel - c. 20 minutes' walk to the Mountjoy Site. Single Occupancy, Standard Room, Bed & Breakfast: £100.00. Tel: +44 (0)191 372 7200 email: email@example.com
Please quote Durham University when booking and take along confirmation of your interview letter/email as reception will require this upon check-in to honour the rate.
If you may require any specific arrangements during your stay in Durham, for example related to a disability, dietary requirements or religious observance, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What to bring to your interview
Please bring the originals, and if possible also a photocopy, of the following documents with you when you come for an interview:
- Your passport
- Your qualifications
We would ask that you arrange and pay for any travel and accommodation. As long as your expenses are supported by a receipt/ticket and you have completed an Interview Expenses Claim Form, we will reimburse your reasonable expenses (as outlined below)
If you are unsure about whether you will be able to reclaim any expenses, please contact us before you confirm your bookings on email@example.com
As long as you are travelling from at least 30 miles away (60 mile round trip), we will reimburse your reasonable travel costs to attend your interview or assessment. This includes:
- Flights: For those not resident in the UK we will reimburse the cost of return international flights in economy class. We would ask that you ensure the flight is the most cost efficient and that when making your claim, you provide information on the cost effectiveness (such as a printout from the airline on the costs options available). If you have any queries about flight costs, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org before you book.
- Trains/Internal Flights: We will reimburse standard class train fares (or economy class domestic flight, if cheaper).
- Driving: Mileage is reimbursed at 22p per mile and we will pay for parking in Durham if receipts/tickets are provided (although if possible please contact us to arrange a parking permit at the University, as outlined above). We shall only pay for a hire car if the dates match with the time you are in Durham. You may claim either the reasonable costs of a hire car and the petrol consumed for the journey (with a receipt for fuel) or the mileage (but not both).
- Taxis: We will cover the cost of taxis from local transport hubs such as Durham Train Station. Please ensure you get a receipt with the pick-up and drop-off points.
- Other Modes of Transport: We will reimburse any other reasonable transport costs such as trams or buses to airports.
If you need to stay in Durham to attend your interview or assessment, we will cover the cost for 1 night (or 2 nights if this is deemed necessary), where this is reasonable. We would ask that in the first instance you use University accommodation which can be booked via our colleagues at Event Durham either online or at email@example.com or on +44 (0)800 289 970. If no suitable University accommodation is available, there are a number of hotels in Durham (as outlined above).
We will reimburse the cost of meals as detailed below and only if a receipt is provided (we will not reimburse any expenditure on alcohol, drinks not consumed with a meal or ad-hoc snacks).
- Breakfast (if your journey begins before 7.30am) - up to £6 per day
- Lunch - up to £8 per day
- Dinner (if you are in Durham or still travelling at 8.30pm) - up to £17 per day
Expenses which we do not reimburse
Please note that we do not reimburse the following expenses:
- Travel insurance costs
- Courier charges
- Telephone charges
- Additional or excess baggage costs
- Internet connection costs
- Drinks which are not consumed with a meal
- Ad-hoc snacks
- Expenses which total less than £10
- Any other costs which are not reasonably incurred as part of the interview/assessment process.
Where a candidate does not appropriately engage in the recruitment process, we reserve the right to not reimburse expenses.
When to claim
We would appreciate if you could submit your expenses as soon as possible on an interview expenses claim form. We may not reimburse any expenses that are submitted over 6 months after the date on the receipt.
We will process your request as quickly as possible and aim to ensure you receive payment within 6 weeks.
Wi-fi is available throughout the University. Please register by creating an account at https://service.thecloud.net/service-platform/login/registration/ or download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
Good luck with your interview!
* Please note that where we have suggested hotels or modes of transport (including taxi companies), these are third parties not affiliated to the University and we can take no responsibility for the service which they provide and candidates may make arrangements with any other provider.