Assistant Professor in Ancient History
Candidates are expected to make a strong case for complementing existing areas and/or developing new areas of research excellence in the Department. We are currently expanding, with three new permanent positions in Classics, including this post. We welcome applications from scholars with research and teaching excellence in any area of Classics (broadly conceived). We welcome applications from scholars with research and teaching interests in any area of Ancient History (broadly conceived).
Applications from specialists in Greek history and/or the material culture of the ancient Greek world are particularly encouraged to apply, although specialists in other areas of Ancient History are also encouraged to apply. The ability and willingness to teach Latin and Greek at all levels is highly desirable: the Department takes pride in the linguistic training it offers, including successful programmes of learning the classical languages ab initio.
Vacancy Reference: CLAS18-3
Download the full job description as a PDF.
- A good first degree with a PhD in Ancient History (either completed or under examination).
- A background of research excellence in Ancient History, with experience of producing research that is recognised as world class, plus a research plan for future studies.
- Knowledge of contributing to research groups and mentoring early career researchers.
- The confidence to supervise PhD students
- Evidence of delivering high quality teaching, with the ability to attain fellowship of the HEA.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
With the role at either grade 7 or grade 8, applicants who have just completed their PhD or are in the process of working on this and believe they have the potential to fulfil the above criteria are encouraged to consider applying.
How to apply
We value and promote an inclusive and diverse working environment at Durham and we welcome applications from all individuals.
We prefer to receive applications online. For this role we are working with our partner organisation TMP (UK) Limited and your application will initially be submitted to TMP (UK) Limited via our website.
Please carefully read the job description for this post which outlines the documents which you will be required to submit, information about referees, contact details should you require further information and next steps including an indication of when interviews will take place.