Wider student experience
Our students excel academically but academic success is only half the story.
To help our students make the most of their time at Durham and to develop skills which equip them for their future career and life, we provide a huge variety of extra-curricular activities (many of which are also available to our staff). So whether it is volunteering for charity work, staging a play, singing in a choir, or captaining a college sports team, there are hundreds of opportunities for joining in, mixing with different people and simply trying something new. Everyone is encouraged to get involved, either through their college or at University-level, and develop skills and experiences far beyond the walls of the lecture theatres.
But we have considered how we will make our wider student experience even better, with a number of initiatives to be in place by 2027 (some of which are already underway). We will:
- Develop a Durham Award that will offer all students courses on logical thinking, global citizenship and study skills, as well as credits for participation in drama, leadership, music, sport and volunteering.
- Establish four to six new Colleges in Durham City, in the process ensuring that more than half of our students will live in College accommodation.
- Develop the facilities already in place, to build a large-scale, integrated sports park at Maiden Castle, that will be widely available beyond the University.
- Build a new facility for Durham Students’ Union.
- Fundraise for a new concert and performance hall that will benefit Durham City and the wider region.