Education and research
We are a research intensive university with a long-established commitment to conducting world-class research and delivering a research-led education. The research work of our academics shapes and inspires the disciplinary structure of our academic departments, as well as our college communities, and directly informs our teaching at every level.
However, we are not resting on our achievements to date. As we move forward, by 2027 there is a commitment to a number of exciting research goals. We will:
- Build critical mass across the University, with very significant growth in Mathematics, Computer Science, the Business School, the School of Government and International Affairs, Law, English and History and each newly recruited faculty member will strengthen the Department that she or he joins.
- Build new University Research Institutes to address key global challenges.
- Invest over £2.8 million annually in our new Chancellor’s Scholarships to better resource a high-performing cohort of postgraduate and post-doctoral researchers as we build the next generation of leading academics.
- Continue to deliver and develop a high quality academic estate, including targeted investments in buildings, libraries, museums, laboratories and equipment to support a world-leading research culture.
From an education perspective, we also have a huge number of inspirational developments underway both now and as we move towards 2027. We will:
- Create a new Centre for Teaching and Learning that will host a wide range of learning environments and technologies, including new classrooms that will allow students to share courses in real time with students from peer institutions from around the world.
- Build an Education Laboratory to encourage innovation in classroom pedagogies and assessment. More learning sessions will be ‘flipped’ and more will be student-led.
- Implement a new University-wide Fair Access Strategy, expand the Supported Progression scheme and work with local schools to ensure greater access to Durham University for under-represented groups.
- Build a new lifelong learning offer for Durham alumni that will be underpinned by a strong virtual learning environment.