Housing and accommodation
Be it town or country, Durham offers an unparalleled choice of residential locations to meet your requirements. It is important to arrange accommodation in advance, and assistance can be provided in a variety of areas.
When you first arrive in Durham you may choose to stay in short-term accommodation, perhaps even in one of our college communities. Contact Event Durham for information on short-term bed and breakfast accommodation in the University’s colleges.
For hotel or bed and breakfast accommodation* in Durham City Centre, you could stay at one of the following:
- The Victoria Inn
- Castle View Guest House
- Kingslodge Inn
- Premier Inn
- The Radisson
- The Marriott
- Hotel Indigo
Durham University has an extremely small amount of houses and therefore generally does not have accommodation available to new staff. Occasionally properties do become available for let on a short-term basis and we are happy to check this for you if required, but guarantees cannot be made.
A short-term rental may suit, to allow you to familiarise yourself with the area before entering into a long-term agreement. We can liaise with local estate agents and property companies for available properties that match your needs.
The property may be furnished or unfurnished. The minimum time you can rent a property is usually six months. There may be occasions when this is negotiable with the landlord so please consult the Relocation Manager for advice.
- Robinsons Durham: 1 Old Elvet, +44 (0)191 386 2777
- J W Wood Durham: 3a Old Elvet, +44 (0)191 384 1222
*The hotels and estate agents named are suggestions and are not affiliated with the University; we therefore cannot be responsible for the service which they provide
We can liaise with local estate agents on your behalf and help you to find suitable houses that match your criteria.
We can also view properties for you (and send you videos), or accompany viewings as required. Support can also be provided with the negotiation process, with the aim of trying to achieve the best possible price for your chosen property.
Whether you are relocating from abroad or from within the UK, we are here to help with relocating your family, home and belongings to Durham. Working with our approved suppliers, or with one of your own choice, we will oversee the arrangements, from setting up the appointments to assessing the move contents, to the final delivery.
Settling into your property can be time consuming. Below are a selection of services we can support with, if required, to help you settle in to your new home:
- Utilities installation – we can attend an empty property to allow access for installation services, meter readings, safety checks etc. (including TV and telephone lines)
- Healthcare services assistance – we can help in locating and registering with a local doctor (GP), dentist, opticians or other specialist healthcare providers
- Leisure facilities – we can provide a full range of local leisure complexes, places of interest, and amenities
- Portfolio of contacts - we can provide contact details for trade services (domestic staff and gardeners for example), interior design and refurbishment services and professional services (solicitors etc.).