We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Academic Talent

Eligibility to work and guidance

As an employer, Durham University has a responsibility to prevent illegal working and therefore must check that all employees are entitled to work in the United Kingdom (UK).

Staff employed by the University who are from the UK or countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) have an automatic right to work in the UK. Please visit the following page for the current status for those coming from within the EEA -

Those from outside the EEA must apply for permission to work within the UK under the points-based system (PBS) via a number of routes, primarily those known as Tiers.

If you are a non-EEA national and applying for a vacancy please refer to our Guidance for New Staff page to help you find the most appropriate information for you.

For further guidance, you are also advised to visit the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

Applying for a Visa

Once you have received a job offer from Durham, the University will provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). You will then be directed on how to apply for a visa. Obtaining an entry and residence visa is your responsibility, and the University cannot act on your behalf. Obtaining permission to work does not guarantee that you or your family members will subsequently be given a visa. When you make a visa application you will have to pay the relevant fee and submit original copies of the documents requested, including your passport. If your visa application is approved you will be able to enter, reside and work in the UK for a specific period.

Tier 2 Visa Reimbursement Scheme

We offer a Tier 2 Visa Reimbursement Scheme for staff joining us on a permanent contract or a fixed term position of two years or more, who require a Tier 2 visa to allow them to live and work in the UK while working at Durham University. The purpose of the Scheme is to support new and current employees on Tier 2 visas with the cost of their visa and the Immigration Health Surcharge.

Further information and eligibility for the Scheme is available to view on our web pages.

Interest-Free Loan Scheme

In addition to our Tier 2 Reimbursement Scheme to support new international staff with the costs associated with their visa applications, the University also offers an Interest Free Loan Scheme. Those who are appointed on an open ended contract, or on a fixed term contract of employment of 2 years or more, will be eligible to make an application for a loan to cover the immigration costs of family members moving to Durham.

For further information please visit the Interest-Free Loan Scheme page.

Police registration

If you need to register with the police, you will be notified of this requirement from the correspondence received from the UKVI. Please note that you must register within seven days of arriving in the UK.

Follow the instructions on the Durham Police website to create an account. Once you have created an account and booked an appointment with Durham Police you will be given details of when and where to attend.

To register, you will need:

  • Your passport
  • Your visa or identity card
  • Two passport-sized photographs
  • Payment for the registration fee
  • Your offer letter/employment contract from Durham University
  • Proof of address such as your tenancy agreement.

Dr Carrie Ambler, Associate Professor in Biosciences

Contact us

Durham University
Human Resources
Rowan House
Mountjoy Centre
Stockton Road
Durham DH1 3LE
T: +44 (0) 191 334 6536