We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.


Using Your Tier 4 Visa: Frequently Asked Questions

Use these pages to get advice about the main conditions attached to your Tier 4 visa and your repsonsibilities whilst you are in the UK. You may also find answers to many frequently asked questions below.

+Your leave entitlement: How long can I stay in the UK?


Students are usually granted an additional period of leave to remain the UK after their course finishes. The length of extra time you are granted will depend on the length of your course.

  • Postgraduate students on a course of 12 months or more will normally be granted an additional 4 months
  • Non-postgraduate students on a course of 12 months or more will normally be given an additional 4 months* 
*Students completing their course in the summer term will normally be given leave until the 31st October of that year
  • Students on courses of between 6 and less than 12 months duration will get an extra 2 months leave.
  • Students on courses which are less than 6 months** will get an extra 7 days leave.
**Students on pre-sessional courses of less than 6 months will get up to 1 month extra

More information is available on the UKBA web pages  

Should you need to extend your course you must speak to your academic supervisor and agree a new course end date.

If you then need more time on your visa to complete your course you must extend your visa before your current visa expires. 

Information on extending your visa in the UK. 


Categories: Your Tier 4 Visa

Contact Us

Student Immigration Office
The Palatine Centre 
Stockton Road
+44 (0)191 33 46069