Working After Your Studies
After you have completed your studies you can work full time in the UK if you have time left on your student visa.
Once your programme has officialy ended and you are waiting for your results, you can work full time on a temporary contract until the expiry date of your student visa (up to a maximum of 4 months after your programme has ended). You cannot engage in business or self employment, take up employment as a professional sportsperson or entertainer or pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.
Tier 2 (General) visas
After the closure of the Tier 1 PSW Scheme in 2012, the Home Office (UK Immigration and Visas) introduced new provisions allowing graduates to apply under Tier 2 (General).
Tier 2 (General ) is open to graduates with a UK Bachelor's or Master's Degree (or completed at least 12 months of a PhD) from a registered UK institution. The normal Tier 2 (General) requirments have been relaxed to allow graduates greater opportunity to apply.
- Applicants must have an offer of a position from an employer who is a registered sponsor, with a salary of at least £24,300 (in most cases).
- Employers must provide applicants with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)
- Employers do not have to complete a Residence Labour Market Test (RLMT) when employing graduates (final confirmation of award from University required) or if position appears on the 'Shortage Occupation List'.
- Applicants must fulfil the maintenance requirement for the application. See the Tier 2 Policy Guidance.
Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
The Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) scheme allows graduates who have been identified by the University as having innovative ideas, to stay in the UK after their studies to establish a business of their own.
- The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) requirements have been relaxed to allow graduates greater opportunity under the scheme
- Open to graduates who have been identified by the University and having innovitave business ideas
- Graduates applying will be sponsored by the University
- Applicants must also meet the maintenance requirement. See the Home Office guidance for details.
Durham University will participate in the scheme, however, details are not yet available. Details will appear on this web page as soon as they become available.
*Details of how Durham University student will be able to apply will appear on this page when available.
Information about working in the UK after your studies is also available from the UKCISA