We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Working in the UK on a Dependant visa

Your dependants may be allowed to work in the UK, though this depends on when they apply for their visa.

Permission to work

If they applied for their current Dependant visa on or after 4th July 2011, they will be able to work if you are:

  • Sponsored by your government and on a programme over 6 months long, or
  • On a postgraduate programme that is at least 12 months long (and studying at a Higher Education Institution)

If your family members applied for their current visa before 4th July 2011, different conditions may apply

Further Information

Further information is available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.