We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.


Working in the UK

Use the links below to find information about working in the UK during and after your studies, for you and your dependants.

Information about the types of work you can do, how many hours and when
Advice if you are taking a work placement as part of your programme or if you plan to undertake an 'internship'
Working in the UK under Tier 2 (General), the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) and other categories
Family members and permission to work & the Work Authorisation Scheme for Croatian nationals
Information about the types of work Dependants can do, how many hours and when
Everyone who works in the UK must have a National Insurance Number (NINO). If you work during or after you studies in the UK without a NINO then you will be in breach of your visa conditions.
Careers, Employability & Enterprise Centre careers guidance; Graduate Aptitude Tests; Forthcoming Career Events; Vacancies; Student Employment Service; Fairs and Employability Skills Courses; Resources and information and more

If you can't find the advice you are looking for or you are still not sure what to do, contact the Student Immigration Office who may be able to help.

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.