We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.


Travelling during & after study

If you want to to travel to other countries during your stay in the UK or study abroad as part of your programme, you may need a visa to enter the country (or countries) you are visiting.

If you are visiting Europe as a tourist you can apply for a Schengen Visa to enter the country (or countries) you intend to visit
If you are planning a period of study abroad (or work placement) as an agreed part of your programme, you may need to apply for a different type of visa depending on the purpose of your visit and the length of your stay.
If travelling to a country which is outside the Schengen area or outside the EU, you may still need a visa to enter.
Advice for students leaving and re-entering the UK
Warning in using your Tier 4 visa to re-enter the UK and advice on applying for a new visa to return for Congregation
The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.