We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Applying for a visa

If you are coming to study at Durham, visiting or returning for a short period, bringing your family with you or inviting them to visit, follow the links below for help in applying for the appropriate visa.

If you are starting a new programme, need extra time to complete your current programme or are moving to Durham from another UK university, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa
If you are coming to study in the UK for more than six months, you must must apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa in your home country before you travel
Applying for a Tier 4 visa for a Master's Degree programme in 2018/2019
For completing PhD students who would like to remain in the UK for up to 12 months in order to work in either paid employment or on a self employed basis
Visiting Researchers; Erasmus Exchange students; Students returning for re-sit exams; Students returning for vivas; Distance Learning students; Study on programmes which are less than 6 months
Inviting your family to join you or extending their Dependant visa in the UK
Returning to Durham for Congregation if your Tier 4 visa has expired and inviting your family to visit for less than 6 months
If you are not sure whether you need a visa or not
The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.