We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Absence, vacation & travel outside the UK

All absence, vacation and travel outside the UK must be authorised by your department and while you remain in the UK on a Tier 4 visa, you are required to engage with your study for the duration of your programme.

Please read the advice below which is based on UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) guidance.

Engagement with study

UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) expects you to remain engaged with study for the duration of your programme and meet all programme requirements, as expected.

Absence & sickness

If you are absent from study, this should be authorised by your department.

If you are absent through sickness, you should follow your department's normal procedure and let them know.

If sickness or absence for any other reason might result in you not being able to complete your programme before your current visa expires, you should consider suspending your studies. If you suspend your study for longer than 6 weeks, UKVI will be notified and your visa will be curtailed.

Vacation & travel outside the UK

The information below explains when you can take time away, take vacation or travel outside the UK during your programme. Please read the information appropriate to your programme:

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.