We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Permission to Study Check

If you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), the University is required to check that you have (or have applied for) a valid Tier 4 visa, Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or other immigration permission which allows you to study in the UK on your chosen programme.

You must have a Permission to Study Check when you first arrive and at the start of each academic year in order to be fully registered and maintain access to email, DUO, library and other University facilties.

  • Includes any UK visa, BRP or other immigration permission currently held or that you have recently applied for

Permission to Study Checks apply to all non-EEA nationals with permission in the following categories:

  • Tier 4, Tier 1, Tier 5, Short-Term Study*, Settlement, Ancestry, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
  • Dependants of a visa holder in any immigration category or Family Members of an EEA National
  • Students with any other type of immigration permission (as agreed by the Student Immigration Service)

*If entering the UK for short-term study without a visa, you must have an entry stamp in your passport

How to complete your Permission to Study Check

Follow the instructions below:

Please note: If you do not complete the Permission to Study Check within two weeks of the start of your programme (and every subsequent academic year), you will lose access to email, DUO, library and other University facilties.

UK & EU students

UK and EU Students do not need to complete a Permission to Study Check. However, if you are contacted by the Student Immigration Service and asked specifically to do this, we would be grateful if you could present your passport as requested so that we can update your record and remove the requirement for future years. If you are not contacted specifically about this, you do not need to provide us with your passport.

Data & privacy

Information about how we collect, store and use your data can be found in our Privacy Notice.

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.

Contact us

Student Immigration Service
The Palatine Centre 
Stockton Road