Once you have arrived in the UK, you may be required to regsitered with the Police.
If you are required to register with the Police, you will be instructed to do this in one of the following ways:
- Your visa (Entry Clearance, for applications outside the UK) or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) (applications inside the UK only) will instruct you to 'Register with the Police', or;
- You may be contacted via a letter which you will need to take with you when you register with the Police
Please note the following important information:
- You must register with the Police within 7 days of arriving in the UK.
- Failure to comply with the regulations is an Offence under section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 and could render you liable to a fine of £5000 and or six months imprisonment.
Durham City Students
If you are a new student at Durham City Campus you must book an appointment to register with Durham Police.
- Appointments are not always available within 7 days of arrival in the UK and therefore you must book the first appointment available to you. You should do this within 7 days of arriving in the UK even if the appointment date is after the 7 day period.
Once you have created an account and booked an appointment with Durham Police you will be given details of when and where to attend.
If you have difficulties with any part of the form or the website, you can contact the Foreign National Registration office on: (0191) 3752054 or via email: FNRO@durham.pnn.police.uk
What should I take with me?
At your appointment, you must provide:
- Your passport
- Your visa or Biometric Residence Permit (and accompanying letter if available)
- Your University Offer Letter / CAS
- Proof of your address in Durham (Tenancy Agreement / University confirmation letter including room number)
- £34 (in cash only) registration fee
Updating your Police Registration Certificate
If you have changed address, your programme or your visa then you must update your certificate by booking an appointment with Durham Police.
Please note: If you are applying for an extension to your current visa and your certificate is not up-to-date, then you must update it before you send it with your visa application.
Queen's Campus Students
If you are a Queen's Campus student, you must book an appointment via the online system, delivered by the Police.
The Police Registration Process involves 2 stages:
***You must do this stage within 7 days of arriving in the UK***
- Once an appointment has been booked to attend a face to face appointment, bringing the relevant documents with you. Note: this stage does not need to be completed within 7 days of arriving in the UK, although you must have booked the appointment within that time***
Your appointment will be held at the Holliday Building at Queen's Campus.
Documents needed for an appointment
- Your Passport and visa and where applicable, the plastic Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) It is included in your letter from the Home Office.
- Proof of address required from an ‘official body’ - such as a Student Status Letter / tenancy agreement.
- New registrations only: the registration fee of £34 cash.
- Change of details/transfers only: your existing Police Registration Certificate.
Support with booking an appointment
Use the following guides to help you, if needed:
Notifying the Police of any changes
Throughout your time in the UK, you must report to the police within seven days of the following changes:
- change of address
- change of course, school, college or university
- change of marital status, name or birth of children
- extension of stay granted by UK Visas and Immigration
- change of passport
- transfer from another Police force area
- temporary absence of eight weeks or more from your registered address
You can do this by logging onto the online registration system delivered by the Police. You will need to book and attend an appointment, but will not be required to pay the fee again.
If you require any additional help or information, please contact the Cleveland Police Foreign Nationals Office Telephone Number 01642 301319 or ForeignNationalsRegistrationUnit@cleveland.pnn.police.uk
Office Hours are Monday to Friday 09:00 - 15:00
Students living in Newcastle
If you live in Newcastle while you study you will need to register with Northumbria Police.