We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Latest news

Replacing a lost or stolen BRP

If you are planning to travel outside the UK over the summer and your BRP is lost or stolen you can apply to replace it in the UK, if you have enough time.

You do not need a BRP to leave the UK, but you must have a BRP or a Replacement BRP visa to return.

If you return to the UK without a BRP or Replacement BRP visa, you will be refused entry.

Information about replacing a BRP and what to do if you are travelling

(23 May 2019)

Students advised not to use eGates when arriving in UK

UK Border Force have announced the expansion of eGates will be from Monday 20th May 2019, which will see millions of eligible nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America benefiting from faster access to the UK.

As part of the eGate expansion they have also confirmed the withdrawal of landing cards for all non-EEA passengers, across all routes, from the same date.

However, the University advises that no students should use eGates, even where you are eligible to do so. In all cases you should ensure that a border official gives you an entry stamp on your passport. This ensures that your visa is validated, if you are using it for the first time or that you are given the correct permission to enter the UK if you are travelling without a visa.

(23 May 2019)

Master's students: Important information about leaving the UK during the Summer

If you plan to travel or leave the UK during your dissertation period in the Summer, in order to meet the requirements of your visa, you should plan to return to Durham to complete your programme no later than 31st July, where possible.

Your Department will indicate whether you are required to be in attendance during this period.

If you do not intend to return to Durham before the end of your programme:

  1. You must inform your Department
  2. Your department will notify Student Immigration Service
  3. Student Immigration Service will notify UKVI and your visa will be curtailed

Please note: All vacation and travel outside the UK should be authorised by your department. You do not need to contact the Student Immigration Service directly.

Full details and further information about travel and leaving the UK 

(20 May 2019)

New streamlined Tier 4 application service in UK from 5th November

UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) has introduced a new streamlined process for those applying to extend their stay in the UK, including students applying under Tier 4.

From 5th November 2018 applicants will be able to choose to use the new service or the old service. From 30th November, only the new service will be available

Full details of the new application service available from 05.11.18

Full details of the old service available until 29.11.18

(6 Nov 2018)

Tier 4 pilot scheme for 2019/20 Master's applicants

Durham University will continue to participate in a Tier 4 Pilot scheme gives applicants for one-year Master's programmes in 2019/2020 the following benefits:

  • a streamlined visa application process
  • an additional six month's leave after study in order to look for work in the UK

Further information on eligibility and requirements

(31 Jan 2018)

International students targetted by telephone scam

We have been made aware of a number of different scams targetting Tier 4 students.

The scams involve telephoning students, pretending to be from organisations like the Police or the UK Home Office with the aim of getting students to pay money to them.

Details of recent scams and what to do if you think you have been targetted

(6 Jun 2018)

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.

Contact us

Student Immigration Service
The Palatine Centre 
Stockton Road