Towards the end of your studies at Durham you should start to prepare for your journey home. This will be an exciting but potentially difficult time and will involve lots of preparation and planning.
Try to plan your departure from Durham well in advance of the end of your course to ensure that your last few weeks are stress-free! You will need to think about:
- Booking your flights or other transport home
- Arranging for a freight company to transport your belongings
- Closing your bank account
- Settling your financial commitments, eg, paying your water, electricity, gas and phone bills if you rent privately and paying any College and University bills
- Informing your College and your friends of your home address
- Confirming your travel arrangements with your family or friends back home
- Giving your employer your leaving date, in writing, if you have a job
The UKCISA information sheet 'preparing to return home' contains some helpful advice on practical arrangements you may need to make before you leave the UK. It also has a discussion on 'reverse culture shock', which many students experience when they return to their own country.