We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

To apply for a new Tier 4 Student visa, you must have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) issued by Durham University.

The CAS is a unique reference number which confirms that the University has agreed to be your Tier 4 Sponsor and provides information about you and your study to UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) as part of your visa application.

  • A new CAS is required every time you apply for a Tier 4 Student visa
  • If your CAS is issued by Durham University your visa will only be valid for study at Durham University
  • Your CAS contributes 30 of the 40 points that you need to obtain your Tier 4 Student visa

Coming to study at Durham for the first time

If you are applying to study at Durham for the first time and require a visa your CAS will be issued by the University Admissions Team responsible for your programme. You can find out who that is here.

Applying for further study at Durham

If you have completed your programme at Durham and have applied for further study here, you will receive a new CAS from the relevant Admissions Team at Durham University. You can find out who that is here

Getting extra time to complete your study

If you are already studying at Durham, you must request a new CAS and apply for a new visa in all of the following situations:

  • You are resuming study after a period of suspension
  • You are transferring to a new programme* and do not have enough time on your current visa to complete it
  • You are adding a work placement or study abroad to your programme
  • You need extra time to complete to complete your study (PhD students only), including:
    • Where you have an extension to your supervised study period or thesis submission date
    • Where your viva will be held within 30 days of, or after, your visa expiry date
    • Where you are required to complete major corrections or re-submit your thesis (a CAS cannot be issued for the purpose of completing minor corrections).

Request a CAS from the Student Immigration Service website as early as possible before you apply for your new visa.

Once you have requested a CAS, we will check the information you have provided against your student record. We aim to issue your CAS within 10 working days where possible.

*A new visa is required where your new programme is at a lower academic level. A new visa is also required in any situation where your new programme cannot be completed before your current visa expires. See Changing your programme, for specific advice.

Information about the visa process can be found here.

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.