We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa outside the UK

You must apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa in your home country before travelling to the UK unless:

  • You are already in the UK with a valid visa in a category which allows you to switch to Tier 4 (General)
  • You are a current PhD student at Durham and need extra time to complete your programme
  • You are adding a year of study abroad or work placement to your current programme (UG only)

When to apply

If you plan to start a new programme at Durham University: Apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa once you have your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) (issued automatically) and before you travel to the UK, up to three months before the start of your programme.

If you are currently studying at Durham University and need extra time to complete your programme: Request a new CAS online and apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa at an appropriate time.

If you are resuming your study at Durham University after a period of suspension: Request a new CAS online once you have permission to resume your study and apply for your visa before travelling to the UK, up to 3 months before the date you will resume your programme.

Prepare your application

  1. Make sure you have received your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from the University
  2. Make sure you meet the financial requirements
  3. Apply for Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance (if required)
  4. Undergo a TB test (if required)
  5. Prepare any evidence you may need to support your application

Use the Tier 4 Policy Guidance to help you apply

Please note:

  • Check that you meet all the requirements before you apply (your application will be refused if you do not)
  • Allow plenty of time to prepare any evidence you may need and submit your application
  • Evidence must be exactly as stated in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance (your application will be refused if it is not)

Requirements & evidence

In order for your application to be successful, you will need meet a number of requirements and provide evidence to demonstrate it.

Students from certain countries may qualify under the 'Differentiation arrangements' meaning that only certain mandatory documents are required in support of your application.

Students coming to study a one-year Master's programme (less than 13 months) in 2018/2019 will automatically qualify for the Tier 4 Pilot Scheme which also means that (regardless of nationality) you are also only required to provide mandatory documents in support of your application.

Full details of the Tier 4 requirements and evidence required

Apply online

  1. Apply online on the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) 'Access UK' website
  2. Pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) during your application*
  3. Pay the application fee online during your application
  4. Choose where to collect your BRP when you arrive in the UK (see below)
  5. Book an appointment at a Visa Application Centre (to give your biometric details)

Use the Tier 4 Policy Guidance to help you apply

*Please note: If you leave the UK before your current visa expires and apply for a new visa from your home country, you will be expected to pay the IHS for the whole period of your new visa, including any time you have already paid for. It is not possible to get a refund for any IHS you have previously paid

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) on arrival in the UK

During your visa application you will be asked where you would like to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from when you arrive in the UK (see above).

Use ACL (Alternative Collection Location) code 2HE632 - this will enable you to collect your BRP from Durham University when you arrive

Further information about collecting your BRP when you arrive

Please note: If collecting your BRP from a local Post Office, you must collect your it within 10 days of arriving in the UK or before your 30 day entry visa expires, whichever is later

Your family

Further information if you have dependents applying to travel with you or join you later

Further help

Further help is also available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.