We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Suspending your study

It is a condition of your Tier 4 (General) visa that you are registered and engaging in a full time programme at Durham University and you ensure you attend and make academic progress, as required.

The University is required by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) to monitor your attendance and progression and notify them of any changes in your situation within 10 days, including where you suspend your study for longer than the maximum period of authorised absence for your programme.

Curtailment of your Tier 4 (General) visa

Once UKVI have been notified, your visa will then be curtailed (cut short) to 60 days and you should make arrangements to leave the UK during that period. UKVI will email you to confirm this and the exact date by which you should leave the UK, if you have not done so already.

It is not possible to remain in the UK if you have suspended your study.

You will receive an email from the Student Immigration Service to confirm these arrangements.

Please note: UKVI may take longer than 60 days to contact you, but you should still leave within this period as advised above.

Please note: Any dependants with you in the UK will also have their visa curtailed.

Leaving the UK

Your visa will expire at the end of the 60 day period (date specified by UKVI) and you must leave the UK before this date. If you do not, you will be considered an 'overstayer' and this may have implications for any UK visa application you might make in the future.

Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) will no longer be valid for returning to the UK, even if the 60 day period has not passed. You should cut your BRP in half and send it to UKVI at the following address before you leave the UK:

Returns Unit
PO Box 163
BS20 1AB

Resuming your study

Once you are ready to resume your studies and have agreed this with your Department, you must request a new CAS and apply for a new visa to return to the UK.

You can apply for a new visa no more than 3 months before the date you will resume your study ('course start date' on your CAS).

Please note: As well as paying the visa application fee and associated charges you will have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) for the period of your new visa, even though you may have paid this when you applied for your previous visa. It is not possible to get a refund for the amount already paid.

Problems with your study

If you do have problems with attending your programme, are struggling with your work or your situation changes (for example as a result of pregnancy, or an emergency at home) it is important that you speak to staff in your School or Department as soon as possible. If you decide that you need to suspend your study, this must be in agreement with your School or Department.

Working in the UK no longer allowed

From the date the University notifies UKVI of your situation, you will no longer be allowed to work in the UK.

Further advice

Contact the Student Immigration Service to discuss your situation if you are not sure how suspending your study will affect you.

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.