We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.


Re-sitting Exams or Part of Your Programme

It is a condition of your Tier 4 (General) visa that you are registered and engaging in a full time programme at Durham University and you ensure you attend and make academic progress, as required.

The University is required by UK Visas & Immigration (UKV&I) to notify them of any changes in your situation, including when you are 'out of residence' for more than one calendar month while waiting for re-sit exam(s).

Curtailment of your Tier 4 (General) visa

If you are required to re-sit an exam before progressing to the next level of your programme and will spend more than one month 'out of residence' while waiting for your exam, the University will notify UKV&I of this within 10 days of the decision taken by the exam board.

UKV&I will then email you* to confirm that your visa has been curtailed (cut short) to 60 days from the date of their email. They will confirm the exact date by which you should leave the UK, if you have not done so already. 

It is not possible to remain in the UK if you are not in full-time attendance on your programme.

You will receive an email from the Student Immigration Office to confirm these arrangements.

*Please note: The time it takes UKV&I to email you may vary

Leaving the UK

Your visa will expire at the end of the 60 day period / date specified by UKV&I and you must leave the UK before this date. If you do not, you will be considered an 'overstayer' and this may have implications for any UK visa application you might make in the future.

Once you have left the UK, you will not be able to use your visa to re-enter the UK, even if the 60 day period has not passed.

Returning to the UK for your exam

If you are required to return to the UK for your re-sit exam you can do so by applying for a Student Visitor visa.

If you pass your re-sit exam and you are able to progress with your study you will need to return home before applying for a new Tier 4 (General) visa from your home country in order to return to the UK and continue your study at Durham.

Repeating part of your programme

If you are required to repeat part of your programme before progressing to the next level, you may need to extend your visa (before it expires) so that you have enough time to complete it.

Postgraduate students

If you are required to re-sit an exam or part of your programme and you do not have enough time on your visa to do so, you may need to extend your visa before your current visa expires.

Contact Us

Student Immigration Office
The Palatine Centre 
Stockton Road
+44 (0)191 33 46069