We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Extending your study

If you have been granted a concession to extend your PhD programme and you need more time in the UK to complete it, you will need to request a new CAS and extend your current Tier 4 visa. You can apply to extend their visa in the UK.

Undergraduate students given permission to repeat a year of their programme can also request a new CAS before continuing study, but can only apply for a new visa from outside the UK.

Postgraduate Taught students cannot normally apply for more time on their visa if their programme end date has been extended.

The University of Durham makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.