We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Completing your programme outside the UK

Please note: The advice below has been temproraily suspended while arrangements remain in place as a result of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) infection. See our latest news for updates.

Completing your programme from home

It is a condition of your Tier 4 (General) visa that you continue to reside in the UK while you are registered on a full-time programme at Durham University.

The University is required by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) to notify them of any changes in your situation within 10 days, including where you leave to complete your programme from outside the UK or no longer reside in the UK.

Curtailment of your Tier 4 (General) visa

From the date you leave the UK the University will notify UKVI within 10 days.

Your visa will then be curtailed (cut short) to 60 days and you should make arrangements to leave the UK during that period. UKVI will email you to confirm this and the exact date by which you should leave the UK, if you have not done so already.

You will receive an email from the Student Immigration Office to confirm these arrangements.

Please note: Even if UKVI have not contacted you within 60 days, you should still leave the UK within this period

Please note: Any dependants with you in the UK will also have their visa curtailed.

Leaving the UK

Your visa will expire at the end of the 60 day period (date specified by UKVI) and you must leave the UK before this date. If you do not, you will be considered an 'overstayer' and this may have implications for any UK visa application you might make in the future.

Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) will no longer be valid for returning to the UK, even if the 60 day period has not passed.

You should send your BRP to UKVI at the following address before you leave the UK:

BRP Returns
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
BS20 1AB

Returning for a viva exam

If you need to return for a viva exam you can apply for a Short-Term Study visa

Returning for congregation

You can return to Durham for your congregation as a Visitor.

Working in the UK no longer allowed

From the date the University notifies UKVI of your situation, you will no longer be allowed to work in the UK.

Further advice

Contact the Student Immigration Service to discuss your situation if you are not sure how completing your programme outside the UK will affect you.