This page contains links to more than 180 internet resources which may be of interest to boundary enthusiasts. Please note, however, that a link to an external site from this page does not necessarily imply that the International Boundaries Research Unit endorses the views expressed on that site.
Links can be browsed by category or you can search for links across all categories by keyword.
|Miscellaneous||The int-boundaries email list. A popular forum for the discussion of international boundaries and other territorial issues.|
|Miscellaneous||The BorderPoint email list. Lively discussion about borders, tripoints and territorial oddities.|
|Miscellaneous||Boundary Bits Boundary-related news from International Boundary Consultants.|
|Miscellaneous||Paul Hensel's Border and Territory Links.|
|Miscellaneous||Karla Tonella's Border Crossings links.|
|Miscellaneous||Jesper Nielsen's Borderbase, which includes a wonderful collection of boundary images.|
|Miscellaneous||Peter Hering's Border Pictures site.|
|Miscellaneous||Rolf Palmberg's Border Zone Europe and Border Zone Asia & America picture sites.|
|Miscellaneous||Special European Borders Life along the Dutch-German, the Belgian and other European state boundaries.|
|Miscellaneous||'Fraid at the Edges Essay by Stephen DeLong.|
|Miscellaneous||Boundary Conflicts and Preventive Diplomacy Essay by Kjell-Åke Nordquist.|
|Miscellaneous||On Drawing Lines on Maps Essay by Barry Smith.|
|Miscellaneous||Fiat and Bona Fide Boundaries Essay by Barry Smith.|
|Miscellaneous||Geopolitical Friction Chapter from Military Geography for Professionals and the Public by John M. Collins.|
|Miscellaneous||Frontiers The complete, unexpurgated text of a classic piece of border literature: the 1907 Romanes lecture by Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy of India 1898-1905 and British Foreign Secretary 1919-24.|
|Miscellaneous||Shore and Sea Boundaries PDF versions of all three volumes of this classic work by Aaron L. Shalowitz and Michael W. Reed. See especially Part Two of Volume III on Delimiting Maritime Boundaries.|
|Miscellaneous||Legal regime of joint development and management zones Chapter from Ocean governance: sustainable development of the Seas edited by Peter Bautista Payoyo.|
|Miscellaneous||A comparative overview of theories about boundaries by email@example.com.|
|Miscellaneous||The Global Maritime Boundary Database from General Dynamics.|
|Miscellaneous||Nomadic Borders Papers from an international workshop of the Centre for Independent Social Research held at Narva, Estonia in June 1998.|
|Miscellaneous||Doug Murray's record of the 'Great Central European Border Expedition' of 2001.|
|Miscellaneous||EUBORDERCONF - The European Union and Border Conflicts: The Impact of Integration and Association. Project coordinated at the Department of Political Science and International Studies, University of Birmingham, UK|
|Miscellaneous||The EU Border Identities project.|
|Miscellaneous||EUDIMENSIONS - Local Dimensions of a Wider European Neighbourhood: Developing Political Community Through Practices and Discourses of Cross-Border Co-Operation.|
|Miscellaneous||Dismemberment and Suffocation: A Contribution to the Debate on African Boundaries Paper by Pierre Englebert, Stacy Tarango and Matthew Carter.|
|Miscellaneous||The MIT Cascon System for Analyzing International Conflict|
|Miscellaneous||The World Conservation Monitoring Centre's Transboundary Protected Areas pages.|
|Miscellaneous||Jurisdictional Relationships Between Nations and Their Former Colonies Article by Thomas W. Donovan in The Gonzaga Journal of International Law (2003).|
|Miscellaneous||Crossing Borders Current and historical images of the Finland-Sweden-Russia border region.|
|Miscellaneous||The Border Poetics project
at the University of Tromsø.|
|Miscellaneous||Learning to Play Chess on Water: How States Resolve Maritime Boundary Disputes, and Maximize Capture of Resources, in the UNCLOS Era. Essay by Jonathan D. Greenberg in the Harvard International Review, 23 August 2011|
The following list contains a selection of internet resources which may be of interest to boundary enthusiasts. Please note, however, that the inclusion of an external site in this list does not necessarily imply that the International Boundaries Research Unit endorses the views expressed at that site.
- Specific boundaries and territorial issues
- Organisations with boundary-related interests
- Reference material
Specific boundaries and territorial issues
- Information on Australia's maritime boundaries from Geoscience Australia.
- Documents on East Timor's maritime boundaries from Petrotimor.
- Legal opinion in the matter of East Timor's maritime boundaries by Vaughan Lowe, Christopher Carleton and Christopher Ward.
- Australia bleeds Timor for oil Article by John Land in Green Left Weekly, October 2000.
- The Timor Sea Treaty of May 2002 and related agreements.
- Maritime boundary fact sheets from the government of East Timor.
- Ernst Stavro Blofeld's Jungholz site.
- Waiting for the Esquimo: An Historical and Documentary Study of the Cooch Behar enclaves of India and Bangladesh. Research paper by Brendan Whyte.
Barbados-Trinidad and Tobago
- Information on the Barbados-Trinidad and Tobago maritime boundary arbitration from the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
- Notes on the exclaves of Baarle-Nassau/Baarle-Hertog by Barry Smith.
- De Grenspalen van Nederland Site devoted to Dutch boundary markers.
- Perspectives on the territorial disputes from the governments of Belize and Guatemala.
- Documents on the territorial differendum from the Organization of American States.
- The Cost of Conflict: the Anglo-Belize/Guatemala Territorial Issue by Janine Sylvestre.
- Comisión Internacional de Límites y Aguas entre México y Belize (Mexican section)
Notes on the disputed Isla Suarez / Ilha de Guajara-mirim in the Rio Mamore by Wilson Krukoski (in Spanish and Portuguese)
- Boundaries of Brazil An excellent site on the boundaries of Brazil (some pages only available in Portuguese and Spanish).
Brazil-Paraguay Notes on the Guaira/Itaipu section of the Brazil-Paraguay boundary by Wilson Krukoski.
- Commentary on Uruguay's claims to islands in the Rio Cuareim and the Arroyo de la Invernada by Wilson Krukoski (pro-Brazil; in Portuguese and Spanish).
- Drugs and war destabilise Thai-Myanmar border region. Article by Pierre-Arnaud Chouvy of Geopium.org.
- Communiques from the Mixed Commission working to implement the ICJ's judgment.
- Canadian maritime legislation, including details of Canada's maritime limits.
- The Canada-USA International Boundary Commission
- "Between Friends/Entres Amis" An exhibition of photographs by the National Film Board of Canada.
- The 49th Parallel Project A multi-media art project by Gregor Turk.
- Diary of an expedition along the 49th Parallel by Dan Jacobson.
- The Tsawwassen-Point Roberts boundary.
- Border traffic cameras.
- Machias Seal Island: A Geopolitical Anomaly by Paul B. Schmidt.
- Contested Borders in the Caucasus The online version of a new book edited by Bruno Coppieters.
- Central Asia: Border Disputes and Conflict Potential Report by the International Crisis Group.
- Caspian Sea or Lake: What Difference Does It Make? Article by Bernard H. Oxman in Caspian Crossroads Magazine.
- Caspian Sea Region: Legal Issues Analysis by the United States Energy Information Administration, July 2002
- The Diaoyutai/Senkaku Dispute: The Unwanted Controversy Article by Phil Deans.
- Japanese Militarism & Diaoyutai (Senkaku) Island - A Japanese Historian's View Article by Kiyoshi Inoue.
- List of links to pro-Chinese sites.
- "Street of Russian Goods Welcome!" Article on the Amur River borderlands by Jeffrey Tayler inThe Atlantic Monthly.
- Jesper Nielsen's Boundaries of Cyprus site.
- Managing Tensions on the Timor-Leste/Indonesia Border. Briefing paper by the International Crisis Group, May 2006.
- Territorial Disputes and Their Resolution: The Case of Ecuador and Peru by Beth A. Simmons (United States Institute of Peace "Peaceworks", No. 27).
- Map of the formerly disputed territory from the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection.
- U.S. Leadership in Resolving African Conflict: The Case of Ethiopia-Eritrea. Report by John Prendergast for the United States Institute of Peace.
- Documents from the Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission at the Permanent Court of Arbitration. The Delimitation Decision is also available from the United Nations.
- The Eritrea-Ethiopia Conflict Page from Dehai.org (Eritrean Community Online Network)
- Another Ethiopia-Eritrea Conflict Page (pro-Ethiopia)
- Another Ethiopian-Eritrean Conflict Webpage by Professor H. Ghebre-Ab, Claremont College, University of Cincinnati.
- Background to the border dispute between Eritrea and Ethiopia by Mebrat Tzehaie (pro-Eritrea)
- Independent Eritrea-Ethiopia Boundary Commission Decisions and UN Security Council Resolutions Article by Ghidewon Abay Asmerom on the Eritrean People's Front for Democracy and Justice website.
- Key events in 2004 and Year in Review 2005. Chronologies supplied by IRIN News.
- Eritrea and Ethiopia: War or Peace? September 2003 report by the International Crisis Group.
- Eritrea and Ethiopia: Preventing War. December 2005 report by the International Crisis Group.
- The Eritrea-Yemen Arbitration Award from the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
A PDF version (400kb) of the Phase 1 Award (Territorial Sovereignty and Scope of the Dispute) is also available.
- The Eritrea/Yemen Arbitration: Landmark Progress in the Acquisition of Territorial Sovereignty and Equitable Maritime Boundary Delimitation Paper by Barbara Kwiatkowska.
- Summary of border negotiations between 1992 and 1999 from the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- The Falklands-Malvinas Forum seeks to improve communications between Argentina, the Falkland Islands and the United Kingdom, by facilitating the discussion of important issues that will shape their common future into the next century. The web site contains information on current diplomatic and economic issues related to the islands and a chronology of the 1982 war.
- Fishery conflicts around the Falkland Islands by Roel Hans Bethlehem.
- The Future of the Falkland Islands and its People by Lyubomir Ivanov.
- Grenzer.com A site about the troops that monitored and patrolled the Iron Curtain between East and West Germany.
- US Army Border Operations in Germany, 1945-1983 by William E. Stacy
- Manhunters Images of the work of the German border patrol along the Oder-Neisse border by Piet den Blanken.
- The Relic Landscape of the Iron Curtain in Germany by Ingolf Vogeler.
- Documents and commentary on the Imia/Kardak dispute collected by the Greek and Turkish foreign affairs ministries.
- Disputing the Continental Shelf Region in the Aegean Sea: the Environmental Implications of the The Greek-Turkish Standoff by Chip Arvantides.
- Comisión Internacional de Límites y Aguas entre México y Guatemala (Mexican section).
- Documents relating the maritime boundary dispute from CXG Energy.
- Suriname-Guyana Maritime and Territorial Disputes: A Legal and Historical Analysis. Article by Thomas Donovan in the Journal of Transnational Law and Policy.
- Guyana Invokes Annex VII of United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea Against Suriname for Disputed Maritime Boundary. ASIL Insights article by Thomas Donovan.
- Dividing the Sea: the 1982 Law of the Sea Convention, Maritime Case Law, and the Current Dispute Between Guyana and Suriname Article by Andre Verani in the
Gonzaga Jornal of International Law
- History of the Republic of Guyana Guyanese perspective on territorial issues with Suriname and Venezuela.
- The Suriname-Guyana Border Issue.
- News reports from Guyana via the Guyana: Land of Six Peoples site (click 'more' under 'Foreign/Regional')
- A guide to Venezuela's claims to Esequibo from the Venezuelan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Spanish).
- History of the Republic of Guyana Guyanese perspective on territorial issues with Suriname and Venezuela.
- Poop Dreams Article on Navassa Island from the Baltimore City Paper
- Commentary on the maritime boundary dispute between the two countries from the Nicaraguan foreign affair ministry.
- Documents on the maritime boundary dispute from the Organization of American States.
- The Czechoslovak-Hungarian Border Dispute of 1938 by Edward Chaszar
- Trends in the Delimitation of India's Maritime Boundaries by Rahul Roy-Chaudhury.
- Maps from the Report of the Commission Entrusted by the Council with the Study of the Frontier between Syria and Iraq (Library of Congress, Washington, DC)
- Selected reference documents on Israel's relations with her neighbours published by the Israeli ministry of foreign affairs.
- The Line of June 4, 1967. Article by Frederic C. Hof.
- An overview of the dispute over Tok-do/Takeshima.
- Japan's Northern Territories from the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Secret of Sakhalin Island.
- An index of sites relating to the Mexico-USA border from New Mexico State University library.
- International Boundary & Water Commission - United States section.
- Programme on the US-Mexico Border Environment at the Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy at the University of Arizona.
- The US-Mexico Border XXI Programme which aims to achieve a clean environment, protect public health and natural resources, and encourage sustainable development along the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Maps of the Lower Rio Grande Region.
- U.S. Border Patrol National Museum.
- The Militarization of the U.S.- Mexico Border Interview with Maria Jiménez.
- Border Crossings An experiment in hypertextual relationships by Karla Tonella of the University of Iowa.
- Article on the fence around Ceuta from El Pais, August 1999.
- Border Management of Nepal by Buddhi Narayan Shrestha.
- Competing Claims to Sovereignty and Maritime Jurisdiction in the Rockall Plateau Area Report prepared by IBRU for Greenpeace UK.
North Korea-South Korea
- Images from the North Korea-South Korea border from David Flack.
- Photos of the Norwegian border guard company Grensekompaniet.
- 'The International Dispute of Olivenza' from the Friends of Olivenza (pro-Portuguese).
- Negotiating the Saudi-Yemeni international boundary Paper by Richard Schofield presented to the British-Yemeni Society.
- Commentary on the June 2000 border agreement from al-bab.com.
- The Yemeni-Saudi Border Treaty Article in The Estimate, June 2000.
South China Sea
- South China Sea Informal Working Group at the University of British Columbia.
- Finding of the Energy and Security in the South China Sea project at the Peace Research Institute of Oslo.
- The South China Sea Dispute: Prospects for Preventive Diplomacy. A United States Institute of Peace Special Report by Scott Snyder.
- David Rosenberg's Interactive Map of the Spratly Islands.
- Paracels dispute and the impacts towards Southeast Asian human life. Vietnamese perspective on the Paracel Islands and other South China Sea territorial issues.
- Transborder Institute of the Strait of Gibralta (in Spanish).
Organisations with boundary-related interests
- Advisory Board on Hydrographic, Geodetic and Marine Geo-Scientific Aspects of the Law of the Sea (ABLOS)
- Association for Borderlands Studies
- Association of European Border Regions
- Borderpol An organisation serving the international community of border security professionals.
- Centre for Border Studies, University of Glamorgan, Wales
- Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California, San Diego
- Centre for Cross-Border Studies, Armagh, Northern Ireland
- Centre for International Borders Research, Queen's University, Belfast
- Center for Regional and Transboundary Studies, Volgograd State University
- Peipsi Centre for Transboundary Cooperation, Tartu, Estonia
- Center for World Indigenous Studies Olympia, Washington, especially the Fourth World Documentation Archive
- Committee on Geodetic Aspects of the Law of the Sea (GALOS)
- Danish Institute of Border Region Studies, Aabenraa
- The European Borders Group based at the University of Surrey, UK
- Exlinea Lines of Exclusion as Arenas of Cooperation: Reconfiguring the External Boundaries of Europe - Policies, Practices and Perceptions
- International Boundary Consultants
- International Court of Justice
- International Relations and Security Network
- International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea
- Netherlands Institute for the Law of the Sea (NILOS)
- Nijmegen Centre for Border Research
- Sovereign Geographic, Inc.
- TheTransnational Communities research programme
- UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf
- UN Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea
- UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) Fisheries Department
- United States Institute of Peace - original sponsors of the IBRU website
- Boundary lengths dataset from the International Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO)
- Direct contiguity 1816-2000 (v3.0) dataset from the Correlates of War 2 website
- Territorial Change, 1816-2000 (v3.0) dataset from the Correlates of War 2 website
- CIA World Factbook (contains statistical information on all states recognised by the US government, including land border lengths and territorial disputes).
- Maritime conventions and treaties
- Maritime Claims Reference Manual from the United States Department of Defence (2005 edition).
- Oregon State University's Transboundary Freshwater Dispute Database
- Chris Hedley's OceanLaw site
- Erdem Denk's Island Disputes site
- United Nations Treaty Database
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection from the University of Texas at Austin
- Maps from Sir Edward Hertslett's Map of Africa by Treaty from the Library of Congress.
- The US Department of State's International Boundary Studies and Limits in the Seas series hosted by the Florida State University College of Law. The Limits in the Seas series is also available directly from the Department of State website.
- Countries' EEZ database from theSeas Around Us project.
- The int-boundaries email list. A popular forum for the discussion of international boundaries and other territorial issues.
- TheBoundaryPoint email list. Lively discussion revolving primarily around boundary tripoints.
- Paul Hensel's Border and Territory Links.
- Karla Tonella's Border Crossings links.
- Jesper Neilsen's Borderbase, which includes a wonderful collection of boundary images.
- Peter Hering's Border Pictures site.
- Special European Borders Life along the Dutch-German, the Belgian and other European state boundaries.
- 'Fraid at the Edges Essay by Stephen DeLong.
- Boundary Conflicts and Preventive Diplomacy Essay by Kjell-Åke Nordquist.
- On Drawing Lines on Maps Essay by Barry Smith.
- Fiat and Bona Fide Boundaries Essay by Barry Smith.
- Geopolitical Friction Chapter from Military Geography for Professionals and the Public by John M. Collins.
- Frontiers The complete, unexpurgated text of a classic piece of border literature: the 1907 Romanes lecture by Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy of India 1898-1905 and British Foreign Secretary 1919-24.
- Shore and Sea Boundaries PDF versions of all three volumes of this classic work by Aaron L. Shalowitz and Michael W. Reed. See especially Part Two of Volume III on Delimiting Maritime Boundaries.
- Legal regime of joint development and management zones Chapter from Ocean governance: sustainable development of the Seas edited by Peter Bautista Payoyo.
- A comparative overview of theories about boundaries by firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Global Maritime Boundary Database from General Dynamics.
- Nomadic Borders Papers from an international workshop of the Centre for Independent Social Research held at Narva, Estonia in June 1998.
- Doug Murray's record of the 'Great Central European Border Expedition' of 2001.
- EUBORDERCONF - The European Union and Border Conflicts: The Impact of Integration and Association. Project coordinated at the Department of Political Science and International Studies, University of Birmingham, UK
- The EU Border Identities project.
- EUDIMENSIONS - Local Dimensions of a Wider European Neighbourhood: Developing Political Community Through Practices and Discourses of Cross-Border Co-Operation.
- Dismemberment and Suffocation: A Contribution to the Debate on African Boundaries Paper by Pierre Englebert, Stacy Tarango and Matthew Carter.
- The World Conservation Monitoring Centre's Transboundary Protected Areas pages.
- Jurisdictional Relationships Between Nations and Their Former Colonies Article by Thomas W. Donovan in The Gonzaga Journal of International Law (2003).
- Crossing Borders Current and historical images of the Finland-Sweden-Russia border region.
If you know of other boundary-related sites on the Internet, please let us know.