Dr Ronan O'Donnell
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I joined the Iinsitute for Advanced Study in 2020 as an administrator, where I perform a variety of day-to-day administrative tasks.
I have a background in Archaeology. My research interests focus on landscape archaeology of the medieval to modern periods with a particular focus on medieval to post-medieval landscapes, and North-East England. I hold a BSc and PhD in Archaeology from Durham University and an MA in English Local History from University of Leicester, thus my expertise bridges Archaeology and History.
- Non-Representational Theories
- 20th century archaeology
- Medieval and post-medieval archaeology
- Landscape archaeology
- The use of historical methods and sources within archaeological research
- The relationship between landscape, society and land tenure
- Agricultural history
- O'Donnell, R.P. (2015). Assembling Enclosure: transformations in the rural landscape of post-medieval north-east England. University of Hertfordshire.
Chapter in book
- Huxtable, Michael & O'Donnell, Ronan (2018). 'Medieval Colour'. In The Oxford Handbook of Later Medieval Archaeology in Britain. Gerrard, Christopher & Gutiérrez, Alejandra Oxford University Press. 742-758.
- O'Donnell, Ronan (2018). Field Systems and the Arable Fields. In The Oxford Handbook of Later Medieval Archaeology in Britain. Gerrard, Christopher & Gutiérrez, Alejandra Oxford University Press. 86-101.
- O'Donnell, RP & Armstrong, K (Published). The Archaeology of 20th Century Factory Management: Four Factories on the Team Valley Trading Estate. Industrial Archaeology Review
- O'Donnell, R & Petts, D (2019). 'Rural' Rhetoric in 1930s Unemployment Relief Schemes. Rural History 30(1): 53-69.
- O'Donnell (2015). The creation of ring-fence farms: some observations from eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Northumberland. Agricultural History Review 63(1): 39-59.
- O'Donnell (2014). Conflict, agreement and landscape change: methods of enclosure of the Northern English countryside. Journal of Historical Geography 44: 109.
- O'Donnell, R.P. (2011). Adapting Landscapes: The Continual Modification of Leicestershire's Open Fields. Landscapes 12(2): 63-83.
Institute of Advanced Study
General Enquiries: +44 191 334 2589.