Dr Deirdre McCann organizes Global Dialogue on Unacceptable Forms of Work in Durham and Geneva
(21 July 2015)
On 6-8th July, Dr Deirdre McCann organised a Global Dialogue at the United Nations in Geneva and the University of Durham. The Dialogue brought together policy-makers and researchers from across the world to consider how to eliminate ‘unacceptable forms of work’ (UFW)
On 6-8th July, Dr Deirdre McCann organised a Global Dialogue at the United Nations in Geneva and the University of Durham. The Dialogue brought together policy-makers and researchers from across the world to consider how to eliminate ‘unacceptable forms of work’ (UFW) (work performed in “conditions that deny fundamental principles and rights at work, put at risk the lives, health, freedom, human dignity and security of workers or keep households in conditions of extreme poverty”).
The workshops took place on Monday 6th July at the University of Durham, UK and on Wednesday 8th July at the UN International Labour Organization (ILO) in Geneva, Switzerland. Among the participants were Manuela Tomei, Director of the Conditions of Work and Equality Department at the ILO, Rocio Avila of the US National Domestic Workers Alliance and Professor Gary Craig, Professor of Social Policy at the University of Durham and convenor of the UK Forced Labour Monitoring Group. Participants also took part from the European Union (EU), United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD).
The Dialogue was organised by Dr Deirdre McCann of Durham Law School, whose research focuses on the legal regulation of precarious employment.
- Forthcoming from @DurhamHRC's @seshaunawheatle: Principled Reasoning in Human Rights Adjudication (Hart, 2017): https://t.co/QpMKIFSyPh
Tweeted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:00:29 +0100
- New article from @DrAlanGreene on legal v political definitions of #terrorism in ICLQ. https://t.co/v6OBqebP9d
Tweeted on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:25:49 +0000
- New article by @DrAlanGreene on #Trump's executive order and national security.
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 11:57:55 +0000
- Durham HRC's @DrAlanGreene on the conviction of Anjem Choudary and what it means for UK counter-terrorism. https://t.co/RAWnETocx7
Tweeted on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:55:24 +0100
- Special edition of the German Law Journal on #Brexit featuring Durham Law School's @ntinatzouvala
Tweeted on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 10:59:33 +0100
- Roger Masterman and Colin Murray @mastermanmurray reflecting on the British constitution post #Brexit https://t.co/3TZfFozckv
Tweeted on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 10:48:21 +0100
- Today at 1pm in PCL 056, Durham HRC welcomes @CornesLawNZUK.
All welcome! https://t.co/HjyZ0PXZer
Tweeted on Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:26:51 +0100
- Written by our fantastic students with the help of @ThriveTeesside! https://t.co/f0txZEys0V
Tweeted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:08:51 +0100
- @DrAlanGreene on #Orlando and how our perception of terrorism is too focused on Islamic extremism. https://t.co/IIwTHnih1n
Tweeted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:23:12 +0100