Durham Law Academic Speaks at Event on 'Feminism, Law and Austerity'
(22 February 2012)
On 7 February, Dr Aoife Nolan spoke on 'International Human Rights and the "Austerity Agenda"' at a seminar organised by the Centre for Law, Gender and Sexuality, Westminster University, London, In doing so, she focussed on the UK's international human rights obligations with regard to protecting human rights post the economic crisis. Dr Nolan argued that, despite the ongoing failure to mainstream (or even factor in) human rights into national and supranational responses to the financial crisis, it is vital that advocates continue to focus on these obligations in their campaigning. This is due to the fact that human rights provides a powerful dignity-centred rhetoric that challenges the language of 'fairness', as well as extending beyond issues addressed by 'equality' analyses such as those required in terms of UK equality law. Furthermore, human rights arguments centre attention on the human persons that are on the 'receiving end' of austerity measures, rather than on economic, social, political or other considerations affecting budget decision-making.
The seminar, which was attended by activists, legal practitioners, trade union representatives and academics, also featured presentations from Sally Brett, Equalities Officer, TUC, Barbara Cohen, Discrimination law consultant, and Daisy Sands, Policy and Campaigns Officer at the Fawcett Society.
- New article by @thom_brooks on EU migration crisis in Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights: https://t.co/aiyhoLoUN2
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- New draft working paper by @DrAlanGreene on the legal definition of terrorism: https://t.co/bOi2W1aYt9
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- New article from @seshaunawheatle on #LGBT violence. #HumanRights https://t.co/ugTWjrWQ2W
Tweeted on Wed, 06 Apr 2016 15:36:17 +0100
- Tomorrow, Reading Group on UNHRC and Arbitrary Detention. All welcome. Contact @DrAlanGreene for further details https://t.co/r9DHhe272r
Tweeted on Tue, 08 Mar 2016 15:52:13 +0000
- Tomorrow @DurhamLawSchool: Syllabus Design Workshop and Skills for Early Academics Session. All Welcome #DLSSD https://t.co/5fm45Zky9m
Tweeted on Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:38:03 +0000
- Durham HRC's @DrAlanGreene on Ireland's Special Criminal Court for @thejournal_ie #ge2016 #ge16 https://t.co/eX8DmjOnV9
Tweeted on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:00:11 +0000
- Lord Irvine Lecture 2016: Professor Sandra Fredman.
6pm, Hogan Lovell's Lecture Theatre. All welcome! https://t.co/62BxIPkXck
Tweeted on Tue, 09 Feb 2016 10:58:58 +0000
- @DrAlanGreene on Ireland's Special Criminal Court and French Emergency constitutional amendments https://t.co/6SK5OdTtZS
Tweeted on Mon, 08 Feb 2016 13:09:04 +0000
- Durham HRC's @DrAlanGreene on #IslamicState's latest video:
https://t.co/JVTB235vI0 #terrorism #syria #Iraq #ISIS
Tweeted on Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:31:48 +0000
- Durham HRC's @JaneMRooney on the recent NI High Court judgment regarding abortion in Northern Ireland:
Tweeted on Wed, 09 Dec 2015 12:57:40 +0000