Durham Law Academic Speaks at Event on 'Feminism, Law and Austerity'
(22 February 2012)
On 7 February, Dr Aoife Nolan spoke on 'International Human Rights and the "Austerity Agenda"' at a seminar organised by the Centre for Law, Gender and Sexuality, Westminster University, London, In doing so, she focussed on the UK's international human rights obligations with regard to protecting human rights post the economic crisis. Dr Nolan argued that, despite the ongoing failure to mainstream (or even factor in) human rights into national and supranational responses to the financial crisis, it is vital that advocates continue to focus on these obligations in their campaigning. This is due to the fact that human rights provides a powerful dignity-centred rhetoric that challenges the language of 'fairness', as well as extending beyond issues addressed by 'equality' analyses such as those required in terms of UK equality law. Furthermore, human rights arguments centre attention on the human persons that are on the 'receiving end' of austerity measures, rather than on economic, social, political or other considerations affecting budget decision-making.
The seminar, which was attended by activists, legal practitioners, trade union representatives and academics, also featured presentations from Sally Brett, Equalities Officer, TUC, Barbara Cohen, Discrimination law consultant, and Daisy Sands, Policy and Campaigns Officer at the Fawcett Society.
- New article from @DrAlanGreene on legal v political definitions of #terrorism in ICLQ. https://t.co/v6OBqebP9d
Tweeted on Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:25:49 +0000
- New article by @DrAlanGreene on #Trump's executive order and national security.
Tweeted on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 11:57:55 +0000
- Durham HRC's @DrAlanGreene on the conviction of Anjem Choudary and what it means for UK counter-terrorism. https://t.co/RAWnETocx7
Tweeted on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:55:24 +0100
- Special edition of the German Law Journal on #Brexit featuring Durham Law School's @ntinatzouvala
Tweeted on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 10:59:33 +0100
- Roger Masterman and Colin Murray @mastermanmurray reflecting on the British constitution post #Brexit https://t.co/3TZfFozckv
Tweeted on Mon, 04 Jul 2016 10:48:21 +0100
- Today at 1pm in PCL 056, Durham HRC welcomes @CornesLawNZUK.
All welcome! https://t.co/HjyZ0PXZer
Tweeted on Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:26:51 +0100
- Written by our fantastic students with the help of @ThriveTeesside! https://t.co/f0txZEys0V
Tweeted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:08:51 +0100
- @DrAlanGreene on #Orlando and how our perception of terrorism is too focused on Islamic extremism. https://t.co/IIwTHnih1n
Tweeted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:23:12 +0100