Durham Law Academic Speaks at Event on 'Feminism, Law and Austerity'
(22 February 2012)
On 7 February, Dr Aoife Nolan spoke on 'International Human Rights and the "Austerity Agenda"' at a seminar organised by the Centre for Law, Gender and Sexuality, Westminster University, London, In doing so, she focussed on the UK's international human rights obligations with regard to protecting human rights post the economic crisis. Dr Nolan argued that, despite the ongoing failure to mainstream (or even factor in) human rights into national and supranational responses to the financial crisis, it is vital that advocates continue to focus on these obligations in their campaigning. This is due to the fact that human rights provides a powerful dignity-centred rhetoric that challenges the language of 'fairness', as well as extending beyond issues addressed by 'equality' analyses such as those required in terms of UK equality law. Furthermore, human rights arguments centre attention on the human persons that are on the 'receiving end' of austerity measures, rather than on economic, social, political or other considerations affecting budget decision-making.
The seminar, which was attended by activists, legal practitioners, trade union representatives and academics, also featured presentations from Sally Brett, Equalities Officer, TUC, Barbara Cohen, Discrimination law consultant, and Daisy Sands, Policy and Campaigns Officer at the Fawcett Society.
- Durham HRC's @DrAlanGreene on Ireland's Special Criminal Court for @thejournal_ie #ge2016 #ge16 https://t.co/eX8DmjOnV9
Tweeted 2 days ago
- Lord Irvine Lecture 2016: Professor Sandra Fredman.
6pm, Hogan Lovell's Lecture Theatre. All welcome! https://t.co/62BxIPkXck
Tweeted 4 days ago
- @DrAlanGreene on Ireland's Special Criminal Court and French Emergency constitutional amendments https://t.co/6SK5OdTtZS
Tweeted 4 days ago
- Durham HRC's @DrAlanGreene on #IslamicState's latest video:
https://t.co/JVTB235vI0 #terrorism #syria #Iraq #ISIS
Tweeted on Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:31:48 +0000
- Durham HRC's @JaneMRooney on the recent NI High Court judgment regarding abortion in Northern Ireland:
Tweeted on Wed, 09 Dec 2015 12:57:40 +0000
- This Friday Durham HRC welcomes @ProfGWilliams and Dr Petra Butler for a seminar on Bills of Rights. #HRA https://t.co/I8S8SX1Mot
Tweeted on Wed, 18 Nov 2015 11:34:14 +0000
- @DELI_Durham and @DurhamHRC Joint Roundtable on Refugee Crisis today 1pm PCL 058 - all welcome. https://t.co/CEPB6Y7NhR
Tweeted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:56:36 +0100
- Next Week: @DELI_Durham / @DurhamHRC Roundtable on Refugee Crisis 20 Oct PCL 058 1-5pm http://t.co/PKKPjLYKv6
Tweeted on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 11:26:14 +0100
- Durham HRC's @ruth_houghton on The Legacy of Magna Carta in @Lacunamagazine: http://t.co/xzFtaYMHft #HumanRightsAct #SaveOurHRA
Tweeted on Tue, 06 Oct 2015 13:25:14 +0100
- Find out more about the research done at Durham HRC on the proposed repeal of the Human Rights Act here: :https://t.co/PrJUmsLCb8
Tweeted on Thu, 01 Oct 2015 16:42:53 +0100