Speed Reading and Information Management
Learn how to deal with huge amounts of information quickly and effectively.
Mounting work pressures, too little time, keeping your knowledge base up-to-date: we all have to find a way of dealing with today’s tidal wave of information. One highly effective solution is speed reading - a technique that’s not just about reading fast, but about making your whole reading process more efficient.
Speed reading techniques can revitalise an individual's whole approach to information management. This practical course has been designed not only to improve an individual's reading rate but to also enhance understanding and retention.
By the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- Assess your current reading speed and level of comprehension
- Achieve a better understanding of how the mind and the eyes work when you read
- Use six techniques to increase your reading speed
- Read faster, understand and retain more of what you have read
- Select a reading approach that matches the purpose for which you are reading
- Use a process for reading more effectively which will enable you to recall information as and when required.
- Your reading baseline
- Reading eye movements
- Six techniques for reading faster
- The high-speed skim
- Styles of reading
- Relaxing the eyes and improving your vision
- Making the most of your memory
- Boosting your concentration
- Becoming a faster reader
- A process for studying textbooks and long documents
- An understanding of the things that slow people down when they read
- Awareness of how to make the eyes move faster when you read
- An appreciation of a three-stage process for maximising reading comprehension
- An opportunity to identify and discuss the steps you can take to improve your recall of the items you read
- Opportunities to apply techniques and processes for increasing reading speed and maximising both comprehension and recall of what you read
- An action plan for further improving your reading effectiveness in the days and weeks following the workshop.
This highly participative workshop is facilitated by a tutor who specialises in speed reading and memory improvement techniques.
Participants should bring two items of reading material to practise on – not novels or biographies. Non-fiction or text books of at least 200 pages are ideal for learning these techniques.
The day will involve specialist tutor input as well as practical sessions.
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is for Durham University staff who want to be able to deal with vast amounts of information quickly. It is suitable for anyone who feels overwhelmed by the amount of reading they have to do.
Which of the ‘Realising Your Potential Approach’ Behaviours are supported by this course
This workshop will generally help indirectly with most of the Realising Your Potential Behaviours but specifically connects to:
Developing myself and others
- By effectively demonstrating new/improved knowledge and skills
- By demonstrating the value of learning by being involved in development activities.
- By demonstrating a willingness to do things differently
- By planning and prioritising own work to achieve agreed objectives
- By working effectively in order to meet deadlines
- By considering available information to make appropriate decisions
- By taking time to understand and diagnose problems by considering the whole picture
Full Day Seminar – Lunch Provided