Emotionally Intelligent Leadership
In a fast changing world, the need for effective leadership is critical. Leaders need to set vision and direction, they need to create a working climate where people are trusted and engaged and able to take responsibility. They need to nurture and develop others and bring out the very best from the people they lead. They need to build teams that perform well against the best competition. They need to communicate in ways that enthuse others and create energy for the journey of continuous improvement.
This workshop addresses the challenges of leadership for today by asking participants to reflect upon their leadership styles and behaviours. The workshop also explores ways in which participants can enhance their leadership style.
By the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- Describe the roles of the leader, ranging from empowering followers to championing their area
- Identify their preferred leadership styles and behaviours using the EI leadership framework
- Summarise the strengths and limitations inherent in their preferences
- Experiment with less familiar styles as a result of dialogue with colleagues and the facilitator, and clarify which styles are suited for which leadership challenges
- Identify multiple narratives (actual and desired) about their leadership, from their own and others' perspectives, and how they plan to deliver the desired narratives
- Implement an action plan to apply and develop the learning from the programme.
- Experience of leadership: own and others’, triumphs and challenges
- What others (team and institution) want from leaders and the roles that implies
- The EI Leadership Framework: introduction, discussion and self-evaluation
- Reviewing personal style profiles: strengths and weaknesses of different approaches in different situations Style exploration: familiarisation with less preferred styles, and identifying occasions on which they may be valuable
- Leadership narratives: the stories they tell, the stories others tell about them, the preferred story into the future and how to deliver it
- Feedback from colleagues and facilitator based on impressions gained (stories created) during the day
- Co-coaching to develop action and application plans
- Participants will be able to develop a fuller repertoire of emotionally intelligent leadership styles
- Application of EI leadership styles will result in increased motivation and better results from those led.
This approach to Leadership Development is based on three main strands: the research on Emotionally Intelligent Leadership (Goleman, Boyatzis & McKee), a Narrative approach, exploring the ways in which people construct meaning and understanding in the workplace (Whyte et al), and an experiential approach, recognising that participants will bring significant knowledge and experience with them into the training room. In the weaving together of these three strands, participants are able to develop their unique leadership skills. The programme will feature a mix of tutor input and discussion, case studies, self-evaluation, giving and receiving feedback and co-coaching. There is a small piece of pre-coursework to complete prior to the Seminar.
Who is the course suitable for
This course is suitable for those who have proven experience as managers or leaders and who are facing challenges and opportunities that need a positive leadership response.
Which of the ‘Realising Your Potential Approach’ Behaviours are supported by this course
This workshop will generally help indirectly with most of the Realising Your Potential Behaviours but specifically connects to:
- By understanding that specific leadership approaches are designed to help achieve results consistently over time
Developing Myself and Others
- By learning and understanding that coaching and democratic approaches to leadership in particular are good for developing self and others
- By understanding that applying different leadership styles can generate supportive workteams
- By understanding the different leadership approaches designed to foster effective collaborative working
Providing Leadership and Direction
- By gaining practical guidance on leadership styles and approaches.
Full Day – Lunch Provided