We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Human Resources & Organisational Development

Payment of Salaries and Subscriptions

For every month you work, your salary is paid monthly in arrears directly into a designated bank account or building society account (but not into branches of the National Savings Bank) on the last but one working day of each month.

You will receive from Finance’s Payroll section no later than the morning of the pay day, accessible through the People + portal a pay statement giving details of the amount of salary, less deductions, which has been credited to your bank account.

New staff

Along with your offer of appointment, you will be asked to provide bank account details, National Insurance number etc. You must complete and return this information to Human Resources as soon as possible and no later than the 10th of the month in which you start your job if you wish to ensure that you receive your first salary at the right time.

If you are casual/Fees staff you will be asked to complete a new starter form and then via the on-line fees form you will complete this after each period of work and paid a month in arrears.

National Insurance

The University must have a National Insurance number for you to ensure the appropriate deductions from your pay are recorded to ensure your entitlement towards state benefits are correctly assessed.

If you do not have a National Insurance number, you should obtain it as follows:

Non- UK nationals - not in possession of a National Insurance Number, please the National Insurance Number Application Line 0345 600 0634.

UK nationals - lost NI number or never received one, please call the HMRC 0300 200 3500.

Please provide a copy of the letter you receive from DWP that confirms your number to payroll as soon as possible,

Any married female member of staff making contributions at the reduced rate should inform the Salaries Office as soon as possible if her marriage ends by divorce or annulment, as she is liable to make contributions at the standard rate. Women paying at the reduced rate who are widowed should seek advice from the Salaries Office concerning their liability to pay the full-rate contribution.

Income Tax

If you need to communicate with the Inland Revenue, you should telephone or write to the University's tax office at:

HMRC, Gilbridge House, High Street West, Sunderland, SR1 3HL (Tax ref: 465/U3)

or call the National Helpline on 0845 366 7800

In all communications, you should quote your National Insurance number and also the University's employer's tax reference.

Professional Membership Subscriptions

While the University encourages members of staff to belong to appropriate professional bodies, it does not reimburse individual subscriptions.