Durham University

Human Resources & Organisational Development

Guidance for New Staff

Staff employed by the University who are from the UK or countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) have an automatic right to work in the UK. People we wish to employ/engage in work who are from outside the EEA must apply for permission to work within the UK with an appropriate permission under the points based system (PBS). Permission can be gained via a number of routes, primarily those known as Tiers.

If you are a non-EEA national and applying for a vacancy then use the links below to help you find the most appropriate information for you.

Information if you are not automatically entitled to live and work in the UK, including temporary workers and visitors to the university.

Information regarding initial and annual eligibility checks including the documents that are accepted for eligibility checks.

Guidance for new staff detailing their responsibilities as a Visa Holder

Costs associated with visas