We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Human Resources & Organisational Development

Leaving the University

Whether you are retiring or moving on to pastures new you’ll find below a step by step guide on things you need to consider before you leave Durham University:

  • Online Resignation Form (Please use this form to let HR know of your intention to resign – all fields are mandatory. HR will forward a copy of a leaver acknowledgement form to your Line Manager, please ensure you have informed them of your intention to resign from your post)

Only if staff do not have access to a pc would they be able to submit a written letter of resignation and their line manager will print off the form for completion instead. Line Managers: please print and complete a copy of the resignation form accessed via the link on the right hand side of this page and return to HR with a copy of the resignation letter.

If you are leaving due to your fixed term contract coming to an end please complete the questionnaire by clicking here

If you are in possession of any of the following items please ensure they are returned to your Line Manager on your last day of employment:

  • Campus card
  • Keys
  • Laptop or other equipment
  • Uniform

Car Parking Permits

If you have been issued with a University car parking permit and barrier entry ticket please ensure that these are returned, by the time you leave, to the following address:

  • Facilities Office, Estates and Buildings Department, Holly Wing 2 by the time you leave.

Barclaycard Travel Card and Corporate Barclaycard

If you are a Corporate Barclaycard Holder, please ensure that you return the card to the following address:

  • Procurement Office, Mountjoy Centre, Stockton Road, Durham, DH1 3LE

If you are a Travel Card Holder, please return the card to the following address:

  • Accounts Payable Office, Mountjoy Centre, Stockton Road, Durham DH1 3LE.

Your IT account will be closed at the end of your last day of employment. It is advisable therefore to save or print off all of your payslips and P60s before this date. Payroll will be able to print payslips after you leave but there may be a charge for this service.

If you leave mid-month, the Payroll and Pensions Office will send your last payslip to your home address. You will also receive your P45 at your home address.

Please note that all annual leave accrued should be taken before your last day of employment where possible. In exceptional circumstances it may be possible to be paid for outstanding leave but please remember to inform HR who will contact your Line Manager for confirmation.

Please contact Payroll & Pensions with any queries you may have with regards to the following:

  • Outstanding Expense advances/claims
  • Cycle repayments
  • Bus pass payments
  • Rail ticket payments
  • Loans

Please note. If you contribute to Aviva Pensions, please make contact directly on telephone 0345 6006303 and provide an email address, other than your University address as this will become inactive after you leave the University.