Dr Toby Osborne
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Toby Osborne is interested in early-modern court history and diplomatic culture. He has worked on the Piedmontese diplomat, abbé and art patron, Alessandro Scaglia (1592-1641), known throughout the courts of Europe, from London to Rome, during the period of the Thirty Years’ War. His work has a strong international character, with a focus on Catholic Europe and the Italian peninsula. He is currently working on several strands of research, including the papal court, the competition for status and prestige amongst the dynastic powers of Italy, the subject of exile in the seventeenth century, and international diplomatic culture. He would welcome interest in early-modern court and elite history, covering Britain and Europe.
- Continental Europe and Russia
- Early Modern
- Intellectual and Cultural History
- Material and Visual Culture
- Political Culture
- Dynastic politics in early modern Europe
- The courts of Catholic Europe, particularly in the Mediterranean region
- 2002 Dynasty and Diplomacy in the Court of Savoy: Political Culture and the Thirty Years’ War, Cambridge University Press, 304 pp.
Chapter in book
- 2017 'Delineating Early-Modern Factions: A Unique Seventeenth-Century Document', in González Cuerva, Rubén & Koller, Alexander (eds.), A Europe of Courts, a Europe of Factions: Political Groups at Early Modern Centres of Power (1550-1700), Brill.
- 2017 'England and Savoy: dynastic intimacy and cultural relations under the early Stuarts', in Bianchi, Paola & Wolfe, Karin (eds.), Turin and the British in the Age of the Grand Tour, Cambridge University Press.
- 2016 'Anthony van Dyck: A Painter-Diplomat of the Thirty Years' War?', in Duerloo, L. & Smuts, M. (eds.), The Age of Rubens. Diplomacy, Dynastic Politics and the Visual Arts in Early Seventeenth-Century Europe, Brepols, pp. 181-196
- 2016 'Statecraft and the Role of the Diplomat in Ducal Savoy: the Career of Alessandro Scaglia (1592-1641)', in Dover, Paul M. (ed.), Secretaries and Statecraft in the Early Modern World, Edinburgh University Press, pp. 140-154
- 2014 '1629-1635', in Asbach, Olaf, & Schroder, Peter (eds.), The Ashgate Research Companion to the Thirty Years' War, Ashgate, pp. 139-150
- 2014 'Language and Sovereignty. The Use of Titles and Savoy's Royal Declaration of 1632', in Alyn Stacey, Sarah (ed.), Political, Religious and and Social Conflict in the States of Savoy, 1400-1700, Peter Lang, pp. 15-34
- 2013 'The House of Savoy and the Theatre of the World: performances of sovereignty in early-modern Rome', in Vester, M (ed.), Sabaudian Studies: Political Culture, Dynasty, and Territory, 1400–1700, Truman State University Press, pp. 167-190
- 2012 ''Notre grand dessein': O projecto de casamento entre o Duque Victor Amadeu e a Infanta Isabel Luisa e a politica dinastica dos Saboia (1675-82)', in Lopes, M. Antonia & Raviola, B. Alice (eds.), Portugal e o Piemonte: a casa real portuguesa e os Sabóias. Nove séculos de relações dinásticas e destinos políticos (XII-XX), Coimbra University Press, pp. 211-238
- 2012 ''Renaissance Diplomacy and the Early Modern State'', in Eich,Peter, Schmidt-Hofner, Sebastian & Wieland, Christian (eds.), Der wiederkehrende Leviathan: Staatlichkeit und Staatswerdung in Spätantike und Früher Neuzeit, Universitätsverlag Winter, Heidelberg, pp. 117-138
- 2011 'A Queen Mother in exile: Marie de Medicis in the Spanish Netherlands and England, 1631-41', in Mansel, P & Riotte, T (eds.), Monarchy and Exile: The Politics of legitimacy from Marie de Medicis to Wilhelm II, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 17-43
- 2008 'Interessi territoriali e prestigio dinastico. La Casa Savoia e la Corte di Roma durante il pontificato di Paolo V Borghese', in Alexander Koller (ed.), Die Außenbeziehungen der römischen Kurie unter Paul V. Borghese (1605-1621), Niemeyer, pp. 285-299
- 2007 'Interessi territoriali e prestigio dinastico: La Casa Savoia e la Corte di Roma durante il pontificato di Paolo V Borghese', in Koller, Alexander. (ed.), Die Außenbeziehungen der romischen kurie unter Paul V. Borghese, Niemeyer, pp. 16
- 2016 (co-authored with Rubiés, Joan-Pau) Diplomacy and Cultural Translation in the Early Modern World. Journal of Early Modern History, 20 (4): Brill.
- 2016 (co-authored with Rubiés, J-P.) 'Introduction: Diplomacy and Cultural Translation in the Early Modern World', Journal of Early Modern History 20, pp. 313-330
- 2007 'The surrogate war between the Savoys and the Medici: sovereignty and precedence in early modern Italy', International History Review 29, pp. 1-21
- 2007 'Van Dyck, Alessandro Scaglia and the Caroline court: friendship, collecting and diplomacy in the early seventeenth century', The Seventeenth Century 22, pp. 24-41
- 2000 ''Chimeres, monopolies and stratagems': French exiles in the Spanish Netherlands during the Thirty Years' War', Seventeenth Century 15, pp. 149-74
- 2000 'Abbot Scaglia, the Duke of Buckingham and Anglo-Savoyard relations during the 1620s', European History Quarterly 30, pp. 5-32
- 1999 'The Scaglia di Verrua: aristocratic power at the court of Savoy during the early seventeenth century', Studi Piemontesi 28, pp. 367-90
- 1997 'In the service of Savoy: Abbate Alessandro Scaglia (1592-1641)', The Court Historian 2, pp. 29-38
- Christopher Wren
- Early modern European courts
- Reformation Europe