Health and Safety during Pregnancy
Procedure for workplace assessment for new and expectant mothers
The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 requires employers to carry out a "suitable and sufficient" risk assessment; this includes new and expectant mothers. However as circumstances relating to "risk" may change when a woman is a new or expectant mother, then it is recommended that an additional "risk assessment" is carried out taking this change of circumstances into consideration.
The University is responsible for the health and safety for all of its employees, however the employee has a responsibility to notify the University of the pregnancy in order that the review risk assessment can be made.
All new employees will be issued with the "Pregnancy and Breastfeeding" information leaflet which advises that further information can be obtained from the University Occupational Health Adviser.
Any individual or their managers, who have specific concerns regarding their working environment in relation to new and breastfeeding mothers, can contact the Occupational Health Adviser for advice.
3.1 On receipt of the referral the Occupational Health Adviser will arrange to visit the employee within working hours.
3.2. The Occupational Health Adviser on seeing the employee will:-
- Take a full history including general health, Expected Date of Delivery and general job description.
- Ascertain work patterns and nature of the current post; where problems are identified an action plan including any alterations or adaptations will be discussed with the employee.
- The University Occupational Health Adviser will notify the employee’s manager and the appropriate HRManager if any alterations or adaptations are recommended.
- If any other concerns / issues are raised the employee will be referred to see the University’s Occupational Health Physician.
- Follow up correspondence regarding the review assessment and any concerns raised will be sent to the HR Manager, the manager and the employee.
- Further reviews will be arranged as and if required.