This year’s Greenspace Fortnight will take place from 27th February to 12th March 2017. It is a fortnight of activities to raise awareness of how and why to live, work and travel in a more environmentally sustainable way, and will incorporate celebrating the national Fairtrade Fortnight.
Schedule and Activities:
We have a schedule of daily events occurring, including Nordic walking sessions, a driving simulator, Dr Bike sessions, a range of stalls to visit, and much more!
Additionally throughout the fortnight, please look out for:
- 4 additional vegetarian sandwiches in YUM outlets (this complements the Red Meat Free Friday in colleges and YUM outlets).
- 10% discount on all Durham University Fairtrade clothing at https://shop.dur.ac.uk/.
- Fairtrade surprises in Café Aroma (Queen’s Campus, Stockton). Anyone who buys a Fairtrade hot drink will receive a Fairtrade surprise as follows:
- Students can also take their bike for a free Dr Bike maintenance session at the Durham Recyke-y-Bike shop any day they are open if they show a valid campus ID card.
- Sale of Fairtrade bananas and free range eggs every day at Waterside Restaurant (Queen’s Campus, Stockton).
- Sale of local free range eggs every day in YUM cafes (75p per box).
- Buy pancakes with a selection of Fairtrade toppings on Shrove Tuesday (Tuesday 28th February) in the Palatine Restaurant and Fusion Cafe (Business School).
- A local produce stall in the Calman Learning Centre (11am-2pm, Wednesday 8th March).
Catered colleges will also be weighing their weekday lunchtime plate waste weight for the duration of the fortnight to further raise awareness of Love Food Hate Waste initiatives, and raising awareness of the local food used within menus. Many college formals during the fortnight will have a Fairtrade or Environmental theme, and wine receptions are encouraged to consider Fairtrade or vegetarian wine. Catered colleges will also be serving pancakes with Fairtrade toppings at dinner on Shrove Tuesday (Tuesday 28th February). Additional college-specific activities may also be occurring.
Thank you to all those who are supporting or are involved in Greenspace Fortnight.
There are 3 exciting competitions for University members to get involved in, with a selection of prizes: