This year’s Greenspace Fortnight took place from 27th February to 12th March 2017. It was a fortnight of activities to raise awareness of how and why to live, work and travel in a more environmentally sustainable way, and incorporated celebrating the national Fairtrade Fortnight.
Schedule and Activities:
We have a schedule of daily events occurring, including Nordic walking sessions, a driving simulator, Dr Bike sessions, a range of stalls to visit, and much more!
Throughout the fortnight, the following also occurred:
- Red Meat Free Fridays in YUM outlets and catered colleges
- 4 additional vegetarian sandwiches in YUM outlets
- 10% discount on all Durham University Fairtrade clothing at https://shop.dur.ac.uk/
- Fairtrade surprises in Café Aroma (Queen’s Campus, Stockton)
- Free Dr Bike maintenance sessions at the Durham Recyke-y-Bike shop for students
- Sale of local free range eggs in YUM cafes and the Waterside Restaurant
- Sale of pancakes with a selection of Fairtrade toppings on Shrove Tuesday in the Palatine Restaurant and the Fusion Cafe
- A local produce stall in the Calman Learning Centre
Catered colleges also weighed their weekday lunchtime plate waste weight for the duration of the fortnight to further raise awareness of Love Food Hate Waste initiatives, and raised awareness of the local food used within menus. Many college formals during the fortnight had a Fairtrade or Environmental theme, and wine receptions were encouraged to consider Fairtrade or vegetarian wine.
Thank you to all those who supported or were involved in Greenspace Fortnight.
There were 3 exciting competitions for University members to get involved in: