Livers Out (Durham & PBSAs)
The following information sets out details for all students living in Durham City including all Purpose Built Student Accommodations (PBSAs) signed up to the Green Move Out Scheme. Please refer to the relevant essential guidance documents set out below:
- Green Move Out Information for Livers Out
- Recycling Guidance Information for Livers Out in Durham City
- Letter to Landlords
- Letter to Residents
Waste and Recycling
Help to keep your area of the city safe and tidy and assist with waste operations by following these important reminders:
- Avoid contaminating recycling bins with the wrong items or contaminated items e.g. food waste.
- Return any unused medication to your local pharmacy.
- Be careful when disposing of personal or financial information. Shred paper waste and wipe the memory of unwanted phones/laptops.
- Ensure rubbish is always placed in a bin with the lid closed and placed at your normal collection point. Always return bins to your property after collection (unless your bin is shared with other properties).
Unwanted Reusable Items
In May 2019 hundreds of properties in Durham were issued with a Green Move Out (GMO) bag and information leaflet.
Residents of these properties can place unwanted reusable items in the bag and place at the front of their property for collection by County Durham Furniture Help Scheme on any of the specified collection days.
Should residents find they have extra items which may be recycled which are unable to fit into their GMO bags, additional external recycle bins will be located around Durham City and map is available.
The properties which receive purple bags are located in:
Byland Lodge Area
Briardene (Part of)
High Wood View
Mount Joy Crescent
Back Mount Joy
Union Place (off Stockton Road)
High Wood Terrace
Bus Station Area
East Atherton Street
Neville's Cross Bank
New Student Accommodation (PBSA'S)
St Giles (Gilesgate)
Chapel Heights (Ashwood)
Elvet Studios (Green Lane)
St Margarets (St Margaret's Garrth)
Three Tuns (New Elvet)
Ruth First House (Claypath)
Ernest Place (Renny's Lane)
Rushford Court (North Road)
Houghall Court (A177)
Dun Holm House (The Riverwalk)
If your property does not receive a purple bag, you live on a street where there are no collections, or you move out before or after the collection dates, please do not leave items outside your property for collection except for your usual waste and recycling.
Instead, you can:
- Donate unwanted reusable items to local charity shops or take to your College for inclusion in the Green Move Out Scheme.
- Collection of large reusable items can be arranged with County Durham Furniture Help Scheme on 01388 721509.
- Take your items to one of Durham County Council's Recycling Centres (tips). The closest one to Durham City is Potterhouse Lane, Pity Me, DH1 5RL.