Livers Out (Durham & PBSAs)
Students living out across Durham City including Purpose Built Student Accommodations (PBSAs), can still get involved with the Green Move Out! Purple Donation Bags have been delivered by student volunteering over the weekend (18-20th June 2021).
Collections for your donations will be taking place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the move out period. If you have large items or multiple bags please contact CDFHS.
For more information, read the information linked below:
Recycling Guidance Information for Livers Out in Durham City
Waste and Recycling
Help to keep your area of the city safe and tidy and assist with waste operations by following these important reminders:
- Avoid contaminating recycling bins with the wrong items or contaminated items e.g. food waste.
- Return any unused medication to your local pharmacy.
- Be careful when disposing of personal or financial information. Shred paper waste and wipe the memory of unwanted phones/laptops.
- Ensure rubbish is always placed in a bin with the lid closed and placed at your normal collection point. Always return bins to your property after collection (unless your bin is shared with other properties).
Unwanted Reusable Items
In June 2020 hundreds of properties in Durham were issued with a Green Move Out (GMO) bag and information leaflet.
Residents of these properties can place unwanted reusable items in the bag and place them at the front of their property for collection by County Durham Furniture Help Scheme on any of the specified collection days.
Should residents find they have extra items which may be recycled (such as, cardboard, plastics, paper and cans) additional external recycle bins will be located around Durham City and a map is available.
What to do if your property hasn't received a purple bag?
If your property does not receive a purple bag, you live on a street where there are no collections, or you move out before or after the collection dates, please do not leave items outside your property for collection except for your usual waste and recycling.
Instead, you can:
- Donate unwanted reusable items to local charity shops or take them to your College for inclusion in the Green Move Out Scheme.
- Collection of large reusable items or multiple bags can be arranged with County Durham Furniture Help Scheme on 01388 721509.
- Take your items to one of Durham County Council's Recycling Centres (tips). The closest one to Durham City is Potterhouse Lane, Pity Me, DH1 5RL.