Have you started to think about moving? Why not make things easier and better for the environment, and take part in the Green Move Out?
Start sorting your belonging:
- ♻️ Sell or Swap
- 💜Donate using the Purple Bags
- ♻️ Recycle
All students living in College Accommodation will receive a Purple Green Move Out bag and a leaflet ahead of their end-of-year move out. This year, the GMO is being supported by College Volunteers and additional Charity Partners. Some Colleges may not accept all items so please check with your College Rep and check what the charity will collect and how to donate other items.
Please place any unwanted items that are suitable for reuse into the purple bag. Such items may include:
- Electrical items
- Pots & Pans
- Crockery (please securely wrap if fragile)
- Sealed non-perishable food e.g. tins and sealed packets of dry food (or the collection point)
- Sharp or fragile items
Additional bags are available from your College’s Reception or College Green Move Out Volunteer. Colleges also have collection points for Food Banks in the reception area, look out for the yellow bins and check out Beyond Food.
Items donated will be taken away and used to benefit local charities. In 2020, the Green Move Out Scheme diverted over 3900 bags of items from General Waste and provided essential support to several local charities.
Waste and Recycling
Please further assist with waste operations by following these important reminders:
- Avoid contaminating recycling bins with the wrong items or contaminated items e.g. food waste. For recycling guidance in the University please see here and for more tips on zero-waste and recycling take a look at our March Out Waste Sway.
- Return any unused medication to your local pharmacy.
- Be careful when disposing of personal or financial information. Shred paper waste and wipe the memory of unwanted phones/laptops.
Green Move Out Awards
The inter-collegiate Green Move Out Awards recognise the colleges which collect the greatest number of bags of donated items:
- Best Undergraduate Performance* (Collections before 1st August). Please note, new for 2017, this will be the greatest number of bags per student living in the college.
- Best Postgraduate Performance* (Collections after 1st August)
- Most Improved Performance (Percentage improvement between the total number of bags collected this year compared to the previous year)
*Please note that a College cannot win if their performance in this category is lower than their performance the previous year.
Past winners of the Green Move Out Awards can be found below.
Green Move Out Shield Winner
Best Postgraduate Performance Winner
Most Improved Contribution Winner
|2017/18||St. Mary's College||Ustinov||Ustinov|
|2016/17||Stephenson College||Stephenson College||Stephenson College|
|2015/16||Collingwood College||St Mary's College||St Cuthbert's Society and John Snow College (joint)|
|2014/15||Stephenson College||Ustinov College||Josephine Butler College|
|2013/14||St Mary's College||St Aidan's College||Van Mildert College|
|2012/13||St Cuthbert's Society||Ustinov College||Hatfield College|
|2011/12||Collingwood College||Ustinov College||John Snow College|
|2010/11||St Cuthbert's Society||Ustinov College||George Stephenson College|
|2009/10||Ustinov College||(award not available)||University College|
|2008/09||Ustinov College||(award not available)||(award not available)|
|(award not available)||(award not available)|