Take this quick quiz to test your energy awareness.
1) True or false: Screen savers reduce a computer’s energy use.
2) True or false: Having a charger plugged in with no device attached uses energy.
3) If everyone in the UK boiled only the water they needed every time they used the kettle, we could save enough electricity in a year to run the UK’s street lighting for how long?
4) Leaving a colour LCD television on standby overnight releases the same CO2 emissions as making how many cups of tea?
5) Put the below in the order of energy use – starting with the lowest.
a) Using a toaster for 3 minutes.
b) Using a phone charger for 1 hour.
c) Boiling a kettle for 2 minutes.
6) How much energy could be saved annually by showering for one minute less (based on having an electric shower once a day every day)?
7) True or false: Leaving a computer on overnight for a year creates enough CO2 to fill a double-decker bus.
8) If everyone in the UK switched off unused appliances in their home, how much would it save each year?
a) £100 million
b) £400 million
c) £800 million
9) Reducing heating temperatures by just 1°C can cut fuel consumption by how much?
10) If every household in the UK switched off and avoided standby, how many Wembley Stadium’s full of carbon dioxide could be saved every year?