We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Graduate School

Council Tax Exemptions

What is Council Tax?

This is a tax which is set by local councils to help pay for the services that they provide. The tax is payable by the household and not the individual.

Council Tax Exemption

If you are a full time student at University you are entitled to exemption from paying council tax.

A full time student is defined as studying more than 21 hours a week and more than 24 weeks a year. The course must last for at least one academic year or calendar year.

Notification of Exemption to the Councils

A list of all registered full time students is regularly sent to:

  • Durham County Council
  • Hartlepool Borough Council
  • Middlesbrough Council
  • Stockton on Tees Borough Council
  • Darlington Council
  • Newcastle City Council
  • Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council

You are advised to contact your local authority to confirm your student status. 

There are a number of circumstances where you may need to request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate from Student Planning and Assessment.

These include:

  • You do not live in one of the above areas
  • You were not enrolled at the time when the list was sent to the council
  • Your parents may need evidence of your exemption

Is your Term Time address in area of Stockton Borough Council?

If you live in private accommodation (not in College) you will need to complete an application form for council tax discount. All students living in the property need to complete their own application form. Further information and the form can be found by clicking here.

How to request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate

The details on the Exemption certificate include your current term time address. You must therefore ensure that it is correct in your student record before requesting an exemption certificate. You can do this by logging onto the student enrolment system via DUO, where you can update your details if necessary. To update your details click here.

You should then complete the online form below

Exemption Certificates can only be provided for students who are full time and have a student record on the University student record system.

What you should do with the Council Tax Exemption Certificate

When you receive your Exemption Certificate this should either be given to your landlord or sent to the council depending on the arrangements within your household. Alternatively, at your request, SPA can send your Certificate direct to the relevant Council.