Dr Marijn Nieuwenhuis
I have recently moved to Durham after 9 years in Warwick University's Politics and International Studies Department, where I received also my PhD. Before then, I have lived, studied and worked for long periods of time in different cities across China and Europe.
My trans-disciplinary research is at the intersection of Geography and International Relations. My current research focuses on the 'politics of the air' and deals with questions of technology, pollution, security, territory and governance. The research I work on is primarily, but not exclusively, focused on discussing these themes in a Chinese context.
I also consider local engagement important which is why I lead a local stories project in Coventry.
- Nieuwenhuis, Marijn Atmospheric governance: Gassing as law for the protection and killing of life. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 2018;36:78-95.
- Nieuwenhuis, Marijn & Nassar, Aya Dust: perfect circularity. Cultural Geographies. 2018;25:501-507.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. Breathing materiality: aerial violence at a time of atmospheric politics. Critical Studies on Terrorism. 2016;9:499-521.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. Introduction: atmospheric politics and state governance. Critical Studies on Terrorism. 2016;9:478-481.
- Nieuwenhuis, Marijn The emergence of materialism in geography: Belonging and being, space and place, sea and land. Social Science Information. 2016;55:300–320.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. The Governing of the Air: A Case Study of the Chinese Experience. Borderlands. 2016;15:1–23.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. Atemwende, or how to breathe differently. Dialogues in Human Geography. 2015;5:90-94.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. Knowing the Weather: Heavens and Supercomputers in China. Scapegoat: Architecture, Landscape, Political Economy. 2015;5:132-143.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. On one breath all depend. Journal of Narrative Politics. 2015;1:167-179.
- Nieuwenhuis, Marijn Review Essay: Spatiality, Sovereignty and Carl Schmitt: Geographies of the Nomos, written by Stephen Legg. Historical Materialism. 2014;22:257-285.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. Taking Up The Challenge Of Space: New Conceptualisations Of Space In The Work Of Peter Sloterdijk And Graham Harman. Continent. 2014;4:16-37.
- Nieuwenhuis, M & Crouch, D The Question of Space: Interrogating the Spatial Turn between Disciplines. Rowman and Littlefield; 2017.
Chapter in book
- Nieuwenhuis. M. A grain of sand against a world of territory: experiences of sand and sandscapes in China. In: Steinberg, P., Peters, K. & Stratford, E. Territory Beyond Terra. Rowman and Littlefield; 2018.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. The Politics of Breathing: Knowledge on Air and Respiration. In: Škof, L. & Berndtson, P. Atmospheres of breathing: the respiratory questions of philosophy. SUNY Press; 2018.
- Nieuwenhuis, M The Invisible Lines of Territory: An Investigation into the Makeup of Territory. In: Nieuwenhuis, M & Crouch, D The Question of Space: Post-Disciplinary Interventions on the Spatial Turn. Oxford: Rowman and Littlefield. Rowman and Littlefield; 2017.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. Imagining the Indo-Pacific Region. In: Chacko, P. New Regional Geopolitics in the Indo-Pacific. Routledge; 2016.
- Nieuwenhuis, Marijn Atmospheric things: on the allure of elemental envelopment. Social & Cultural Geography. 2019;1.
- Nieuwenhuis, M. China and the 21st Century Crisis. Human Geography. 2018;11.