Dr Bertie Miles
2018-Present - Post Doctoral Research Associate- 'Understanding the sensitivity of major East Antarctic outlet glaciers to recent and future climate change'.
2013-2017: PhD The patterns and drivers of recent outlet glacier change in East Antarctica, Durham University, UK.
2011-2012: MSc Synchronous terminus change of East Antarctic outlet glaciers linked to climatic forcing, Durham University, UK.
2008-2011: BSc - Natural Sciences, Durham University, UK.
- Antarctic Ice Shelves
- Glaciological Remote Sensing
- Ice sheet/ocean/climate interaction
- Stokes, C.R., Sanderson, J.E., Miles, B.W.J., Jamieson, S.S.R. & Leeson, A.A. Widespread distribution of supraglacial lakes around the margin of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet. Scientific Reports. 2019;9:13823.
- Miles, B.W.J., Stokes, C.R & Jamieson, S.S.R. Velocity increases at Cook Glacier, East Antarctica linked to ice shelf loss and a subglacial flood event. The Cryosphere. 2018;12:3123-3136.
- Miles, B.W.J., Stokes, C.R. & Jamieson, S.S.R Simultaneous disintegration of outlet glaciers in Porpoise Bay (Wilkes Land), East Antarctica, driven by sea ice break-up. The Cryosphere. 2017;11:427-442.
- Miles, B.W.J., Stokes, C.R. & Jamieson, S.S.R. Pan–ice-sheet glacier terminus change in East Antarctica reveals sensitivity of Wilkes Land to sea-ice changes. Science Advances. 2016;2:e1501350.
- Miles, B.W.J., Stokes, C.R., Vieli, A. & Cox, N.J. Rapid, climate-driven changes in outlet glaciers on the Pacific coast of East Antarctica. Nature. 2013;500:563-566.