Current Postgraduate Students
Publication details for Professor Ray HudsonHudson, R. (2011). From knowledge based economy … to knowledge based economy? Reflections on changes in the economy and development policies in the North East of England. Regional Studies 45(7): 997-1012.
- Publication type: Journal papers: academic
- ISSN/ISBN: 0034-3404, 1360-0591
- DOI: 10.1080/003434008/02662633
- Keywords: Knowledge, Learning, Regional innovation, Regional development, State policies, North east England, Capitalist development, Commodity production.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
From knowledge-based economy to … knowledge-based economy? Reflections on changes in the economy and development policies in the North East of England, Regional Studies. Against the background of claims made about the emergence of a new knowledge-based economy, the paper explores the role of knowledge, learning, and innovation in the economy and in relation to regional economic development and to successive conceptions of regional development policies through the lens of the successive transformations of a particular regional economy - that of North East England. Rather than seeing knowledge as something that has only recently become relevant to economic performance and to understanding of the economy and economic development, it is argued that knowledge is central to all economic activity, and that different types of such activity draw upon and require different types of knowledge.