Current Postgraduate Students
Dr Emma Vann Jones (née Norman)
- 2012 - present: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Durham University.
- 2007 - 2011: PhD, Durham University: ‘Microseismic monitoring of the controls on coastal rock cliff erosion’.
- 2005 - 2007: Catchment Flood Management Plan Project Manager, Environment Agency, Bridgwater.
- 2004 - 2005: Technical Officer, Water Quality Policy, Environment Agency, Bristol.
- 2003 - 2004: MSc, Environmental Water Management, Cranfield University.
- 2000 - 2003: BSc, Environmental Science, University of Brighton.
I am interested in understanding landform change and the environmental and material processes that control this. I am keen on developing and applying new field and data analysis techniques to address the questions and problems that traditional approaches have been unable to answer or tackle. I have a particular interest in coastal environments and currently my work is focussed on:
- Exploring marine energy and sediment transfer around complex morphology rock coastlines and the erosion implications;
- Quantifying rates and exploring patterns of hard rock coastal cliff erosion using terrestrial laser scanning, and exploring the sea’s influence on rock cliff erosion using cliff microseismic motions as proxies for marine forcing;
- Exploring the processes and rates of iceberg break-up in West Greenland using microseismic signals of iceberg failure processes.
- Lim, M., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.N., Norman, E.C., Barlow, J. & Brain, M.J. (2010). Characterising coastal cliff erosional environments: microclimate-rock interactions. In Geologically Active. Williams, A.L., Pinches, G.M., Chin, C.Y., McMorran, T.J. & Massey, C.I. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, London.
- Brain, M.J., Rosser, N., Petley, D., Lim, M., Barlow, J. & Norman, E. (2010). Dynamic rock strength in coastal rock cliffs. In Geologically Active. Williams, A.L., Pinches, G.M., Chin, C.Y., McMorran, T.J. & Massey, C.I. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, London.
- Norman, E.C., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.N., Lim, M., Barlow, J. & Brain, M.J. (2010). Exploring the relationship between tidal duration and energy delivery to a coastal cliff. In Geologically Active. Williams, A.L., Pinches, G.M., Chin, C.Y., McMorran, T.J. & Massey, C.I. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, London.
Journal papers: academic
- Vann Jones (née Norman), E. C., Rosser, N. J., Brain, M. J. & Petley, D. N. (2015). Quantifying the environmental controls on erosion of a hard rock cliff. Marine Geology 363: 230-242.
- Brain, M.J., Rosser, N.J., Norman, E.C. & Petley, D.N. (2014). Are microseismic ground displacements a significant geomorphic agent?. Geomorphology 207: 161-173.
- Norman, E.C., Rosser, N.J., Brain, M.J., Petley, D.N. & Lim, M. (2013). Coastal cliff-top ground motions as proxies for environmental processes. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans 118(12): 6807 - 6823.
- Rosser, N.J., Brain, M.J., Petley, D.N., Lim, M. & Norman, E.C. (2013). Coastline retreat via progressive failure of rocky coastal cliffs. Geology 41(8): 939-942.
- Barlow, J., Lim, M., Rosser, N.J., Petley, D.N., Brain, M.J., Norman, E.C. & Geer, M. (2012). Modeling cliff erosion using negative power law scaling of rockfalls. Geomorphology 139-140: 416–424.