Analytical Laboratory (Research)
This research laboratory is equipped with an extensive suite of high-precision analytical instruments which are used to analyse water and sediment samples. Our specialised analytical instruments include: Total Organic Carbon (TOC) analysers, an elemental analyser, an ion chromatography system, ultra-high performance liquid chromatograph and gas chromatograph mass spectrometers. Within this laboratory is a Class 1000 clean booth (fully climate and particulate controlled) which houses Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometers (GC - MS) and an Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer (ICP - MS).
In addition, this temperature, humidity and particulate controlled laboratory is equipped with ultra-high purity water (Elga), a fume hood (Hydrofluoric acid capable), balances (five and seven figure), a centrifuge, an ultrasonic bath, a CEM microwave solvent extraction system, a whirlimixer, furnaces, heating blocks, nitrogen and high-purity hydrogen generators, a Buchi rotorevaporator and a GeneVac centrifugal evaporator.
- Agilent Technologies 7900 ICP - MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma - Mass Spectrometer)
- Analytik Jena Multi EA (Elemental Analyser) 4000
- Shimadzu TOC (Total Organic Carbon) - L / TNM (Total Nitrogen Module) - L Analyser
- Thermo Scientific Dionex ICS 3000 (Ion Chromatography System)
- Thermo Scientific Flash 2000 Organic Elemental Analyser and NC (Nitrogen Carbon) Soil Analyser
- Thermo Scientific ISQ LT Single Quadrupole MS (Mass Spectrometer) and Trace 1310 GC (Gas Chromatograph) with PTV (Programmed Temperature Vaporising) Injector
- Thermo Scientific ISQ Single Quadrupole MS (Mass Spectrometer) and Trace 1310 GC (Gas Chromatograph) with PTV (Programmed Temperature Vaporising) Injector and CI (Chemical Ionisation) Reaction Gas Manifold
- Thermo Scientific Trace 1310 GC (Gas Chromatograph) with Dual FID (Flame Ionisation Detector), SSL (Split / Splitless) Injectors and Autosamplers (Gemini Configuration)
- Waters Acquity UPLC (Ultra-High Performance Liquid Chromatograph) / TQ (Tandem Quadrupole) MS (Mass Spectrometer) with Fluorescence and PDA (Photo Diode Array) Detectors