The Foundation Programme is part of Durham Centre for Academic Development and provides access to a wide range of degree programmes for learners who need a year 0 course in order to be prepared for undergraduate studies. Foundation Programme students are full members of the university and as such are affiliated to a college, as well as enjoying full access to the extensive extra-curricular opportunities within the university.
Foundation Programme courses are fully integrated elements of Durham University degree programmes. Students who successfully reach the progression standard by the end of the foundation year automatically gain entry to year one of their registered programme without further action or application.
The majority of students in the foundation programme are mature students from non-traditional university backgrounds. Many are from the north east of England, though all regions of the UK are usually represented, together with a range of EU countries. Foundation Programme staff hold a range of academic qualifications. All are expert at teaching foundation level courses, and all are engaged in a wide range of scholarship activities, adding to the body of knowledge within their respective discipline areas and in the field of pedagogy.
Foundation Programme staff also take part in broader support activities for undergraduate students and contribute to the development of teaching and learning within the whole institution.
- Dr Jinhua Mathias, Co-ordinator for Science Programmes, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Alison McManus, Co-ordinator for Arts, Humanities & Business Programmes, email@example.com
- Ms Julie Wilson, Co-ordinator for Social Sciences & Education Programmes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Foundation Admissions Line:
- Professor Megan Bruce, email@example.com
- Miss Rachel Dunn, Contact Rachel Dunn
- Mr Paul Finley, Contact Paul Finley
- Ms Olwyn Hazelton, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Ruba Ali Ibrahim Mohamed, Contact Ruba Ali Ibrahim Mohamed
- Dr Simon Rees, email@example.com
- Dr Susan Scrafton, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms Hilary Willers, email@example.com