Durham Castle is one of the premier venues for wedding receptions in the North East. The magnificent Great Hall, which dates from 1284, can take wedding breakfasts of up to 200, with guests able to enjoy an arrival drinks reception in the Courtyard of the Castle or the Tunstall Gallery. For smaller occasions the more intimate Senate Room can take up to 40.
The Castle has two Suites, the Bishop's Suite and the Chaplain's Suite, as well as en suite and standard (with shared bathrooms) bedrooms which can be available for you and your guests
The staff at Durham Castle would like to help you prepare for your special day and will do all they can to ensure you enjoy it to the full. Whatever style of wedding you are thinking of we would be happy to discuss it with you.
- The use of the Tunstall Gallery or Courtyard for drinks reception
- An overnight stay in the Bishop Suite, including breakfast for the newly weds (for wedding receptions in the Great Hall, subject to availability)
- An overnight stay in the Chaplain Suite, including breakfast for your chosen guests (for wedding receptions in the Great Hall, subject to availability)
- Our courtesy room for changing and storing of gifts
- The services of an experienced Master of Ceremonies to guide you through the day
- Advice on the choice of menus and wines
Provision of table plan, menus and place cards
- Use of cake stand and knife
- PA system to use for speeches
- Finest quality white linen table cloths and napkins
- Dedicated Wedding Co-ordinator
Facility Fee - £1,500
Wedding Open Day 2019
Sunday 8th September - from 12noon to 3pm - free entry.
Durham Castle is ready to welcome you to our next Wedding Open Day, no need to book in advance. See the Great Hall dressed for a wedding breakfast, and view our inside and outside areas for civil ceremonies. Meet the Event Durham Team to answer your queries and discuss your individual requirements. Some local, trusted suppliers will also be available.