Welcome to Estates and Buildings
The Estates Department provides a number of essential services to Durham University and is responsible for managing, maintaining and developing the infrastructure and building fabric of the various campuses.
The Estates Department provides a diverse range of services to the University including:
- Maintaining and regularly reviewing a maintenance programme which takes account of short, medium and long term needs of all buildings and University grounds.
- Implementing the works identified and funded within the various maintenance programmes and operating a system for dealing with day to day requirements. This includes the continuing provision of an out of hours emergency service.
- Providing a professional technical service to the University for the design, construction and procurement of new buildings and adaptation works to existing buildings.
- Identifying and recording the use of space and advising on ways of increasing space utilisation.
- Procuring and managing utilities and services.
- Providing postal and security arrangements and advice to the University.
The University Estate
The University estate is on two sites: in Durham City and Queen's Campus, Stockton. It comprises over 320 buildings ranging in age from 1076 A.D. to the present day.
Durham Castle and the buildings around Palace Green are part of a World Heritage Site, three properties are scheduled ancient monuments, four properties are listed Grade 1, 79 properties are listed Grade 2 and 60 properties are within the City's conservation area. Approximately 17% of the University's estate is over 150 years old.
Tel : 0191 3346478
Fax : 0191 3346477