Publication details for Dr Ashraf OsmanOsman, AS & Rouainia, M (2014). A Semi-analytical solution for consolidation around a spherical cavity in an elasto-plastic medium and its potential application for tunneling. International Journal of Computational Methods 11(02): 1342010.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0219-8762 (print), 1793-6969 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1142/S0219876213420103
- Keywords: Cavity contraction, Analytical solution, Elasto-plasticity, Consolidation, Tunnel
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
An analytical solution for consolidation around spherical cavity contraction is developed. This solution has the potential to evaluate consolidation around tunnel heads. The initial excess pore water pressure immediately after the creation of the cavity is estimated from the cavity expansion/contraction theory using a linear-elastic-perfectly-plastic soil model. Expressions for the decay of pore water pressure with time are obtained using elasticity. Curves showing the variation of pore water pressure with time are plotted in nondimensional form. Comparison with two-dimensional coupled stress-pore pressure finite element analysis shows that the proposed semi-analytical solution can successfully predict the poro-elasto-plastic behavior around spherical cavity.