Publication details for Dr Ashraf OsmanOsman, A. S. (2010). Comparison between coupled and uncoupled consolidation analysis of a rigid sphere in a porous elastic infinite space. Journal of Engineering Mechanics 136(8): 1059-1064.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0733-9399, 1943-7889
- DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000149
- Keywords: Elastic analysis, Poroelasticity, Spheres, Deformation.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Linear consolidation analyses are usually treated either by means of Terzaghi-Rendulic uncoupled theory or Biot's consolidation theory. In this note, the problem of consolidation displacements around an axially loaded sphere was considered. It is demonstrated that both the uncoupled analysis and the coupled analysis give the same governing equation for pore fluid pressure dissipation with time. A simplified procedure for deriving transient strain components is illustrated. A general solution for time-dependent displacements is obtained using uncoupled consolidation analysis. Close agreement is evident between the new approximate uncoupled analysis solution and the existing coupled analysis solution with a maximum error of less than 0.5%.